Lillian ADju

How I'm Gonna Sew A Box From Individual Parts Of Leather

Hi
I have a question
I search the internet and some books and I can't find complete tutorial how to saddle stitch a box from individual parts of leather.
The closest I get is Al Stohlman "The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather".
Round box is well explained as well as one piece box but individual parts are not.
Box have four sides and bottom (all edges on 45°) So I wander should I stitch like round box (stitch one side and one bottom side with back stitch on the end of each bottom side) and do it four times or there is some more correct way to do it?
... there is a video on YouTube
from "Armitage Leather" but it's not well explained
Regards
Aleksandar

I sent you a PM.

Jim

I don't have enough time to watch the entire video right now but I got up to the part where he says the leather needs to be at a 45 degree angle. Working in a frame shop, I can tell you that mat cutters are set at 45 degrees...I might need to experiment with some leather at work.

Thanks Troy Burch
But even there is pattern with bent edges under the bottom and if you saw the clip that I post

that is what I looking for
And Jim, if you are willing to share your knowledge you can post on this topic... thank you anyway
Regards
Aleksandar

And Jim, if you are willing to share your knowledge you can post on this topic...

I'd be interested also, Jim.

Thanks Grey Drakkon
Everything is clear in this video (and to me) except how I'm gonna end stitching
I mean
1. should I stitch one side and one bottom with single tread and do that four times
2. should I stitch one side and whole four side of the bottom with a single tread and then finish three sides separately
3. should I stitch two time U shape (two sides and one bottom x2) with a single tread and then finish last two bottom sides separately
4. should I stitch first four sides separately and then bottom all around
5. None of this because proper way exists
It's a lot "should" and I need help
Regards
Aleksandar

Edited by Lillian ADju

do a back stitch, cast the thread twice to form a knot, trim the excess thread and finally tuck it back into the hole with a bit of glue using an awl.

I would do the back stitch at the most stressed point and also wherever you end the stitch, in this case at the bottom of the box on each corner. When all 4 sides are stitched add the bottom and do a backstitch either on the end only or at the start of the stitch and the end. As long as the stitch is strong, secure and looks fine it is correct, although I'm sure there are people that if its not done the "traditional way" they would consider it wrong.

do a back stitch, cast the thread twice to form a knot, trim the excess thread and finally tuck it back into the hole with a bit of glue using an awl.

I would do the back stitch at the most stressed point and also wherever you end the stitch, in this case at the bottom of the box on each corner. When all 4 sides are stitched add the bottom and do a backstitch either on the end only or at the start of the stitch and the end. As long as the stitch is strong, secure and looks fine it is correct, although I'm sure there are people that if its not done the "traditional way" they would consider it wrong.

Thanks for replay DavidL

I'm sure I can do it some how and it will be good or acceptably but since I'm totally new in this world I would like to know "traditional way" or "by the book" or what this guy on video doing

Regards

Aleksandar

I should say, I'm also interested in this because I have a set of leather "dice" at my shop that I use to pin down curled up paper. EVERYONE comments on them and I know I'd sell a ton if I ever get around to making some of my own! (prior owner got them out of some catalog) They're pretty simply made, the stitching is an overstitch that's looped around the outside which doesn't seem to bother anyone. I'll have to get on the ball and make some to see how they turn out.

I'll have to watch the video when I get in to see if we are talking about the same thing. My methods have to do with cartridge boxes. The methods will however work for any leather box.

Jim

I would do the sides of the box individually, back-stitching each end. Then I would go around the bottom in one continuous run. Similar on top if the top is stitched closed.

Tom

I'll have to watch the video when I get in to see if we are talking about the same thing. My methods have to do with cartridge boxes. The methods will however work for any leather box.

Jim

Hi, Jim

it's not the issue to make a box from a single piece of leather

It's about using leftovers or just different colors of leather to make a box

and what I would like to know is what is proper or "traditional way" to do it

and this guy in video is definitely a traditional guy

Regards

Aleksandar

I would do the sides of the box individually, back-stitching each end. Then I would go around the bottom in one continuous run. Similar on top if the top is stitched closed.

Tom

Hi, Tom

Thanks for your replies

What confused me in this video is that he didn't mention any back-stitching when he get to the bottom so I watch video again and again and how he start is a little bit weird.

He glued three sides and then you have one vertical and two horizontal sides

So he stitch one side, cut the tread and start second side and that means that he gonna stitch every single side separately or (how he show in this video, because he start stitching only twice for three sides) he will stitch one vertical separately and two bottom together witch mean that he will end up with two vertical on opposite side left undone

So my conclusion is that this video is pretty mess up and confusing and what you said have more sense than what he show

Regards

Aleksandar

Update
I'm like stick to this video but I all ready decide that I'm gonna stitch this box in all ways that I mentioned and see what is best for me
So this is the only sense that I find in this video
I look at it one more time and this one is what I think what he did
1. He stitch one vertical side with single tread (a)
Then he stitch two horizontal sides with single tread (b.)
Remove piece from the clamp
2. Put another two pieces of leather in clamp and stitch it (c.)
3. Join part 1. and part 2. and stitch 2x two sides with a single tread (d), (e)
If any experience member (like Tom or DavidL) can confirm this as likely or possible
Regards
Aleksandar

post-57130-0-91410700-1417741255_thumb.j

Edited by Lillian ADju

All speculation.

First way - I think the picture you drawn is the way nigel does it.

Second way - To do it with all the sides first and then with one single piece of thread for the bottom you could probably use needles and put them in between the holes to hold the leather in place and take them out as you go along. This way is harder I would imagine if you didn't have a special jig just for the bottom piece to hold in place (needs to be made to size and something to attach it to the jig like string or rubber bands).

A jig like this would help for the bottom in the second way. (The distance should be enough so an awl can fit but not too far that the leather can slouch.

box jig.pdf

Edited by DavidL

All speculation.

First way - I think the picture you drawn is the way nigel does it.

I'm happy that we figured out :)

Regards

Aleksandar

I start with video so I can finish with video
Some Japanese guy doing box with first stitching sides
:) :)

Valerie Michaels explains how to join corners with a single stitch in her "Leatherworking Handbook." But Nige's little tips and tricks are all very useful.

Michelle