thefanninator

2015 Keep Making Stuff Monthly Challenge

Congratulations Chris to you and your wife. In three months it will be time to hand him a mallet.

Congratulations Chris, you are off on a wonderful adventure and you will probably need your leatherwork downtime more than ever.

So when we are done should we just post our pics in this thread?

Yes.

I've just printed the pattern and will get started on this soon. I can't wait to see how everyone else does with this!

Thanks for all the congratulations. Baby and momma are doing fine. I've been able to get in a little leatherwork (see my knife sheath post).

I've got some of the pattern pieces cut out. I ordered some leather for this project but haven't received it yet.

Anyone have a good start on it yet?

Hmm... I'm going to start on it this week, hopefully. But from a cursory look at the pattern, I didn't see anything that held it closed. Am I completely blind, or is that how it's supposed to be?

, I didn't see anything that held it closed. Am I completely blind, or is that how it's supposed to be?

By design just butt pressure. I was also looking at this and wondering about if someone would add a clasp of one sort or another to make it a more female design.

Feel free to add a clasp or some other type of closure.

Add a closure, extend a side and make a clutch, put a zipper on one side and make a coin pocket..... The possibilities are endless!

Halfway through the month. Anyone care to share some progress photos?

I've got it all cut out, but I'm still in the decision-making and oh-no-it's-too-thick phase.

post-38542-0-85579700-1421417993_thumb.j

Ok, I'll embarrass myself first with my work in progress.

Brian

post-18932-0-96967100-1421418325_thumb.j

post-18932-0-62480000-1421418342_thumb.j

I've got it all cut out, but I'm still in the decision-making and oh-no-it's-too-thick phase.

attachicon.gif_MG_2724.jpg

Monica,

I see your last pocket (card slot type 2) overlaps the bill section... Mine is doing the same ...on the pattern it looks like they don't overlap and it is stitched in...which creates an extra stitch... when the last one should just be stitched in with the wallet interior to the wallet exterior.

Anyone else run into this problem? Thoughts?

Edit:

Ok so I guess based on the pattern the card slot type 1 are overlaping each other. I'm lining them up to make the edges just 2 layers...

Edited by thefanninator

I was thinking the overlapping part might be a bit overwide. I might trim it down so that they overlap only for one stitch or something. I haven't actually gotten further than thinking that about it.

Love the progress people are making. Glad people are willing to show their unfinished work. Made me want to show my progress.

I'm on vacation currently so spending time with the family has cut into the project time I was expecting to have. That said it's coming along. I don't like the coloring difference but it's going to have to work because I didn't bring enough leather to do anything else.

post-49655-0-42768200-1421525218_thumb.j

Coloring started. Now to figure out how to do the background.

post-18932-0-36935700-1421539045_thumb.j

Brian

I received my goatskin for my interior yesterday and jumped right in cutting out all the pocket pieces. Come to find out my printer was printing at "fit to page" and not "actual size." Everything was about 20% smaller. I wasted an hour or two but hopefully the pieces can be used for something else.

Today I reprinted the patterns at actual size, glued to posterboard and cut them out. Recut all my pieces, stitched all the pockets, cut out the large interior piece and the exterior piece. About ready to stitch everything up but I'll clean up some edges first.

post-43646-0-07533400-1421547845_thumb.j

post-43646-0-30249800-1421547850_thumb.j

Damn, stumbled on this thread a bit late for this month. Great idea and I hope to join in for a couple of the projects.

Damn, stumbled on this thread a bit late for this month. Great idea and I hope to join in for a couple of the projects.

Still 12 days left!

Yeah!

I thought submissions were due the 25th of the month? I will probably make this pattern regardless, it looks very functional.

I think I scrapped that idea. It was getting too complicated with all the extra ideas.

Edited by thefanninator

Oh good, I'm doubtful I'll get it finished by the 25th.

I am almost done , I have some edge work to do, turned ok but when l applied the

water based staln I got it to wet and lost some of the deffinision of my carving and

stamping.

I am somewhat humbled , but live and learn. Thank you all on this site

Pictures coming soon.

I am almost done , I have some edge work to do, turned ok but when l applied the

water based staln I got it to wet and lost some of the deffinision of my carving and

stamping.

I am somewhat humbled , but live and learn. Thank you all on this site

Pictures coming soon.