JJNorman2323

Wrinkles And Creases

Hello everyone, I am having a problem with wrinkles or creases in many of my leather wallets. They almost always show up while stitching, after I have properly dyed and sealed my leather. I am using some of tandy's 2-3oz veg tan for my wallets. Is this a product of cheap leather or is it something I am doing to cause these wrinkles and creases? The pictures show the wrinkles/creases near the stitching but just as often they appear in the middle of the piece. Pictures attached

post-56532-0-67231600-1422760282_thumb.j

post-56532-0-10850100-1422760296_thumb.j

Edited by JJNorman2323

From the photos I can see that you're not pulling the stitches too tight, so that's not the problem. You will run into leather that will tend to wrinkle after being dyed. This is not your fault either. Some cheaper leather you get can come from the belly which is a lower "grade" due its lack of body. Shoulders and backs produce the better leather even in the lighter weights.

Also, it depends on who and how the leather was tanned. Herman Oak Vegetable Tanned is the best and is worth the money. Mexican Urine Tanned, RUN!

Hang in there.

Jim

From the little I can see, your wallet looks very, very nice. You should definitely put a little extra money into buying nicer leather to compliment your stitching skills.

Mr. Norman, what Jim is trying to politely state is that your leather is crappy. The top grain of the leather is very loose, that is the cause of these problems.

Next time you have a piece of leather in your hand that you plan on buying, do this simple test. Fold the leather in half so you are looking at the flesh side of the leather. if at that point you can see the top grain wrinkling when it is folded, it too is crappy. Don't buy the hide find a different one.

I don't think I have ever seen a piece of Herman Oak wrinkle when folded in half. Good luck.

Well, I've bought bad leather as well. :oops:That's how I know.

We learn as we go, don't we guys?

Hello everyone, I am having a problem with wrinkles or creases in many of my leather wallets. They almost always show up while stitching, after I have properly dyed and sealed my leather. I am using some of tandy's 2-3oz veg tan for my wallets. Is this a product of cheap leather or is it something I am doing to cause these wrinkles and creases? The pictures show the wrinkles/creases near the stitching but just as often they appear in the middle of the piece. Pictures attached

JJ, you do beautiful work....unfortunately, this is a case of cheap leather, or sometimes you'll buy a good hide but like the others said if you cut the piece out from near the belly area, it tends to be softer and wrinkle easily......just try a different piece of leather from up near the shoulder and you'll be alright :)