LouraLeather

Waterproofing Liquids Or Waterproof Leather

Hey guys, I've been asked to make a couple of table placemats for a friend, sorta like a coaster but for plates, cutlery etc and I'm having a few doubts, what products would you recommend I apply on the leather so that if it gets wet it doesn't leave a stain, or, if that isn't possible, what kind of leather would be most suitable for this purpose? Also, about the thickness, I'm guessing it should be pretty thick, so that it doesn't warp with time, should I buy some really heavy leather, say like 9 to 10 oz, or could I get away with sewing a couple of 4 to 5 oz pieces together?

Thank you very much!

Cheers

Lourenço

For something like a place mat I might think about covering it, after tooling and finishing - with a thin piece of clear plastic.

That would preserve the mat for a very long time... I also have a cleaning business and in the homes that have place mats, they

need to be scrubbed and cleaned with soapy water..... all the time. No matter how careful they might try to be, there will always

be the possibility of drips and spills. This would save on the frustration level...

This is probably not what you had in mind, but it would prolong the life of the tooled leather art....... ??

Edited by LNLeather

For something like a place mat I might think about covering it, after tooling and finishing - with a thin piece of clear plastic.

That would preserve the mat for a very long time... I also have a cleaning business and in the homes that have place mats, they

need to be scrubbed and cleaned with soapy water..... all the time. No matter how careful they might try to be, there will always

be the possibility of drips and spills. This would save on the frustration level...

This is probably not what you had in mind, but it would prolong the life of the tooled leather art....... ??

Hey Cheryl,

I wasn't actually planning on tooling it as it's definitely not one of my fortes, I was picturing something like a mouse pad, only the size of a placemat, I would Imagine that it would have to be the same materials and finishes that they use on coasters, I'm just not sure what they are!

Thanks for your help anyways!

Cheers,

Lourenço

You could use harness or bridle leather. They are both pretty water resistant. Not water proof, but you can wipe them down.

Dan

You could probably give the leather a few good thick coats of Resolene front and back to make it pretty darn near waterproof. Of course it would be really shiny and maybe prone to cracking depending on how thick the coat ends up.

What about using saddlelac, clearlac, or wyosheen? I would think a lacquer sealer would be pretty waterproof and work on something that stayed flat all the time.