pete

sheepskin scraps

where do you folks get sheepskin scraps. I use a lot of it as I''m sure that you all do but since Tandy quit selling it in bags I can't find it.

Did they quit in every store or just Springfield Leather?

pete

I don't know about sheepskin scraps, but my local Tandy sells bags of calfskin scrap.

Have you checked the Tandy website to see if it is still listed there??

William

Hi,

I work at a Tandy's in Ventura, and we still stock it. I understand if you order online, it is forwarded to your local (nearest) Tandy to fill and ship. We always make sure if a customer comes in wanting something that's in the catalog, we will get it in either through the weekly stock order or we call around to other stores who would be willing to ship it to us.

Perhaps if you ask Springfield will do the same. If not, call a few other stores and ask them to mail order for you.

good luck!

where do you folks get sheepskin scraps. I use a lot of it as I''m sure that you all do but since Tandy quit selling it in bags I can't find it.

pete

Holy Sheepskin Scraps, Batman!!

Actually Pete, many guys who build or repair saddles end with way more sheepskin scraps than they can ever use. I don't know about other guys, but sometimes I have a couple leaf and garden bags full. There are only so many things a guy can do with them. I look for innovative ways to get rid of them. They multiply worse than zucchini in the church pantry. Check locally first with some makers to save shipping. If not let me know and I'll see what I got.

pete

I don't think Tandy quit selling it. Springfield may just not have it anymore or just not stocked. Plus Tandy still has it on their website.

Marlon

eBay has several listings for scrap most of the time, today they don't, LOL.

Get a hold of BC fabsee38@yahoo.com this is Pennyfabric on eBay, they usually have scraps. Just email them direct an tell them what you are looking for and how many pounds. I bet they can help. They are good people.

kathy

Holy Sheepskin Scraps, Batman!!

Actually Pete, many guys who build or repair saddles end with way more sheepskin scraps than they can ever use. I don't know about other guys, but sometimes I have a couple leaf and garden bags full. There are only so many things a guy can do with them. I look for innovative ways to get rid of them. They multiply worse than zucchini in the church pantry. Check locally first with some makers to save shipping. If not let me know and I'll see what I got.

Thanks Bruce. There is a saddleshop in Missouri north of here. I'll try him on my way to Springfiled. Last time I went though he only repaired with synthetic stuff!

I may be calling on you. I hope they price shipping by the pound!!!I

ll bet a large leaf bag weighs about 4 oz. HA!

seriously, thanks for the reply.

pete

Oh yeah, ditto Bruce on that. I have boxes of the stuff. ......... WHAT SIZE AND HOW MUCH???!!!!!!

Now watch, as soon as I get rid of it all, I'll come up with a good way to use it up. I had one of those Marlboro sheepskin coats back in the day and it was made from square pieces sewn together. I'm thinking, now why couldn't I do that? Or, maybe a vest? Then I think about those sheepskin mocs I made........... hey, they may be ugly but they sure are warm!

How big of pieces do you need? How much ? Alan

How big of pieces do you need? How much ? Alan

I think that 4 to 5 sq ft would last me quite awhile. I use a lot but they are almost all 2-3" squares for buffing, antique-ing,etc.

pete

thank you all for the information.Now- does anyone want to sell/send me some scraps!

kowboyboots- thanks for the ebay information but I can't see paying $10.00 shipping on a pound of scraps even though the bid was $1.99 when I last looked.

Luke- you are close by- want to sell some scrap and send it ground? or maybe someone in Arkansas

(Harrison, hint hint?)

thank you all for the information.Now- does anyone want to sell/send me some scraps!

kowboyboots- thanks for the ebay information but I can't see paying $10.00 shipping on a pound of scraps even though the bid was $1.99 when I last looked.

Luke- you are close by- want to sell some scrap and send it ground? or maybe someone in Arkansas

(Harrison, hint hint?)

You're gonna pay at least $6 shipping no matter where you buy it unless you go pick it up yourself.

Pete,

For what it is worth, I packed a leaf bag full down into a box pretty tight. It weighed 13# with the box and shipped Priority for about $24.00. It was only about $1.50 less to ship Parcel Post. I am officially out of scraps for now.

Would sheepskin be good for lining knife sheaths? If so, I could use a boat load of 6" square size.

THANKS!!

Would sheepskin be good for lining knife sheaths? If so, I could use a boat load of 6" square size.

THANKS!!

I should think it would add substantial bulk. The stuff I use is close to an inch thick pile. The skin is about 1/16 plus thick, maybe twice that in places and fairly firm. Of course, you could soften it up and cut the wool down with shears. But the idea is an interesting one. It is used to line rifle scabbards, of course. It does compact down with use on a saddle, and being wool, it wicks moisture so that might be a good thing to line a knife sheath with.

(Harrison, hint hint?)

PETE all of mine are gone. give the Tandy in Memphis a Call they have them.

I am also looking for some sheepskin scraps for leather work.  Cant find any.  Maybe a pound or two.

Any one help ?

On 3/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, Driver12 said:

I am also looking for some sheepskin scraps for leather work.  Cant find any.  Maybe a pound or two.

Any one help ?

I have some I'd sell.  Medium flat rate box, stuffed as full as I can get it.  PM me I'd interested.

My leather supplier has been kind enough to  just give me a heap of sheep skin off cuts when I make a purchase.  I only use the lighter colours, not the dark coloured off cuts for dying.  I give them a nice trim  into 2 - 3" pieces and use them a bit like a  soft brush. 

But some years ago,  an ' ex- leather worker' gave me a massive box of off cuts ( people often just give me .....leather....stuff  :dunno:)  , most of which I had to throw out as they were too small to be of any use, but I do find  some pieces that I can use. That box  of scraps has been quite handy to this day  :)

I still have two more  huge bags I have yet to go through.....that someone else gave me, I've had them for at least 5 years . 

HS