DavidL

The Future Of Leather Working?

What are your thoughts on the future of leather working?I see an increasing trend of made in America goods by smaller companies. In the upcoming years do you believe that more and more goods will be made by hand or machine domestically? It seems CNC machines could be the thing that brings back more goods made in USA or Canada for lower price brackets.

I personally see the future of leather working seeing a resurgence within the Northern American continent but with that resurgence I see more and more makers going to the machine route and that could cause the return of our trade to prominence to be short lived. I know that the use of sewing machines makes the work go faster but I can tell you from the days of doing saddle work that the difference between a hand-stitched saddle and a mass produced machine stitched saddle is about 30 years (or more). I gauge it in time because machine stitching is not different in our trade than it is in any other trade, it is a lock stitch and at some point a stitch is going to wear out (regardless of the method used) and we all know what happens when the stitching of a lock stitch breaks, it all comes undone.

I also know that there are large number of leather workers (you can find them right here in this community) that live by the mantra of "laser cutting/design work". It give you a unique look to the finished product but it isn't really artistically demanding (not trying to bash anyone, just stating a fact) and really doesn't result in a handmade product in my book. Then there are those who thrive on making "premium/high-quality" leather goods from the wide range of pre-fabricated kits which again, isn't quite the same as what we professional leather workers do. I agree with you that there is an increase in such work coming back to the U.S. and Canada but having spent some serious time looking at some of these "handmade" goods (and I visit any one of them when I can), I have noticed that there really isn't much "handmade" to them; they were pretty much run through an automated press/clicker dye system, automated dyeing/finishing process, and then touched by a human just long enough to run it through a sewing machine and prep it for shipping/distribution. The reality is that we are seeing the same exact product as we know has been made in China (or any other foreign country) and have only changed the location of where it is made, nothing more.

I do see those of us who stay true to the handmade methods of making our products being able to make a solid go of it and that is what has led me to open a small studio in my area. I have spent a few years doing the regional Craft Fair/Event tour and have had some good success but one thing always came up as a question and that was, "where is your studio?" Having a private work studio I didn't entertain a client there because it was not my business model but that is now changing because there have been several contacts that have been looking for me and I realize that it is in my best interest to make that move. I have a solid enough following around my area and I even have people who find me at whatever event I am at just to commission an order; now I will have a set location for that and it will be much more convenient for everyone. The best part about this studio is that I am among other Artists and small businesses where we have a unique community and location that is pretty much an indoor (all season) marketplace where the shopping public can find literally anything (from custom handmade Titanium jewelry to an indoor Farmers Market, to fresh beef (and other meats), to baked goods, to motorcycles (and toys), and much, much more, all in one place. And best of all, I am the ONLY leather craftsman in the entire area that actually sells publicly and has an outlet for my goods (and that even included any Craft Fairs/Events within a 200 mile radius). I basically have the entire market so why the heck not go for it?

The only thing that I see possibly holding us back though is the continued increase in leather costs and the continued (and always expanding) over-regulation of the tanning industry by our governments (more so the U.S. as I am sure that the bulk of leather for Canada comes from here). If we can keep government out of industry (which I don't see happening) and somehow stabilize the cost of leather, it would sure make life for us a bit easier.

David, I really do see the future of manufacturing coming back to the states. The main factors contributing to this trend are the increased automation (reduced labor costs) and quick turnaround for shipping on mass customization products.

As for weather things will be hand done? I am a fan of a things made by hand, but I think this is HIGHLY unlikely to be the norm.

Edited by Matt T

I think we'll see an electronic apocalypse, society will go through a radical change, and skilled tradecraft labor will be the new "elite" class of people. The guns will eventually run out of ammo, so we'll be back to melee weapons and armor, so being a leather worker will be handy. Being a leather worker who makes blades would be better still. You could trade your services for food and supplies, maybe even precious metal coins. Wait......which movie is ths?

No one buys anything because it is cheap and ugly. Cheap, . . . maybe !! Ugly, . . . never !!

Leather work is in itself an artistic rendering of a useable product, . . . there will always be the $7.95 Walmart belts that last 3 months, . . . and there will always be the $75.00, double layer, hand tooled, solid brass buckle belt that will last a guy 30 years or an added 4 inches of girth, . . . whichever comes first.

This has been going on for something near 3000 years now, . . . no reason for it to change today.

May God bless,

Dwight

Since you have contemplated raising your own cattle, on your own land and tanning your own leather and making products from the venture, I guess you already have your own answer. You can set up a machine shop on your cattle ranch and make your own tools and make the sewing machine of your dreams. You can mine your own minerals and forge the special metals you would need, but those ball bearing are going to be tough.

JUST KIDDING Dave! Your questions are entertaining and I thought I could make an entertaining (maybe) answer.

Keep up the interesting questions.

Bob Stelmack

I haven't been doing leatherwork very long but I think we are definitely seeing a resurgence of the art/craft. There are more small business' supplying tools and materials popping up all over. I think Americans (not all of them) are seeing the damage done by moving manufacturing overseas. The products are cheap but very poor quality. They want better quality items that are made in the USA.

What are your thoughts on the future of leather working?I see an increasing trend of made in America goods by smaller companies. In the upcoming years do you believe that more and more goods will be made by hand or machine domestically? It seems CNC machines could be the thing that brings back more goods made in USA or Canada for lower price brackets.

Kinda unrealistic to think it would affect the US and Canada only, don't you think? Global marketing still means and will always mean that a product will be made where it is made best. That means a cheap product will be made where it can be made cheap and a good product will be made where you find good material and good workers. An outstanding product will only be made by very few people and they will always have their market. Quality has its price and so does outstanding quality. I agree that economical awareness will change the market in one aspect. There's no point to support tanneries that are not respecting the environment and don't take adequate measures in regards to their waste materials and so on.

For as long as people don't prefer to sit on a plastic seat in their car, or ride on a plastic chair on their horse and so on the leather industry will be safe.

This being said, the poor tradesman will always be sorted out sooner or later. That's just the cycle of the market in general.

... there will always be the $7.95 Walmart belts that last 3 months,...

This has been going on for something near 3000 years now, . . . no reason for it to change today.

Didn't know Walmart was that old. :rofl:

Edited by Thor