Sheath for a machete. 14" blade, 8/9 oz. Hermann Oak, basketweave, sunburst border, Fiebing's chocolate, dark brown antique, Tan Kote, LCI Clear Lac, Tandy poly braided cord.

Anyone make a sheath that hangs at a 45º angle? That's what this guy wanted. I hope it works!

post-43646-0-76001900-1424211779_thumb.j

post-43646-0-59595500-1424211780_thumb.j

Nice job. That basket weave looks great.

Very nice. Nope, have yet to have anyone ask for a 45 degree sheath.

Edited by snubbyfan

Looks great, I'd be interested to know how that 45° angle works out.

Stu

Nice basketweave!

Not crazy about the belt loop. I'd want stronger stitching and more room for the belt.

In order for 45 deg. to work on such a long blade, the belt loop needs to be fairly close to the center of mass. Otherwise there will always be a lot of torque on the belt loop.

This would be a good application for a frog.

Nice basketweave!

Not crazy about the belt loop. I'd want stronger stitching and more room for the belt.

In order for 45 deg. to work on such a long blade, the belt loop needs to be fairly close to the center of mass. Otherwise there will always be a lot of torque on the belt loop.

This would be a good application for a frog.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

What makes you think the stitching isn't strong?

The belt loop is the angled, wider one on the left. The loop on the right is for "lashing it to a pack" or something like that.

Yeah, I may have to move the belt loop closer to the center. I tried it on a belt tonight and kinda discovered this.

I have no idea what you mean by "This would be a good application for a frog."

I would have made a loop of stitches - like a "D" on it's side. A single line of stitches will have to take a lot of stress. Also, shape the loop with a piece of leather or strip of wood so it already has the space for a belt and doesn't have to be stretched (i.e., stressed) to fit a belt.

I'm no expert, nor do I have any right to claim that I am. I'm just echoing what guys who are experts showed me.

A frog is a means of holding a sheath onto a belt that fits externally to the sheath. I did a quick google to try to find what I meant and I see a couple of similar things. Here's one on sale on Amazon: Sword frog

Here's another version: LARP Sword Frog

I'm no expert either. Haven't made many sheaths.

Do you have a pic of the loop of stitches, the "D" on it's side? I'm having a hard time picturing that.

The 45º angle gave me some trouble anyway. I couldn't stitch it to the main seam because it wouldn't have been 45º.

The frog is pretty cool. Didn't think about that. Although I'm sure I've seen it in a movie.

Nice, Chris. Someone (maybe Mike?) suggested when I made a knife sheath that I should put an extra layer of leather under the stitching on the back of the pouch. Or you could form it. post-38542-0-53614300-1424236964_thumb.j

Or do neither. I've only made one sheath, I'm totally not qualified.

Of course, trying to find a picture when you want one is always impossible.

Look at the loop on this one: First sheath since...

The way you have it sewed - straight across - will put a lot of stress on that thread. A double line - made into a box or a "D" shape will give you more strength and will have some stitches parallel to the loop and thus parallel to the stress.

Oh I see... you mean kinda like the last sheath I made?

I don't know why I didn't do it this time. I'm an idiot.

post-43646-0-75291500-1424261512_thumb.j

Edited by thefanninator

Very nice.

I'm sorry but I don't really get the issue with the stitching. What is wrong with it, please?

However, I have never seen someone with a machete being worn in a 45° angle, but guess that would be nice when riding a horse, even though I would prefer to have it attached to the saddle than.

There's nothing "wrong" with the stitching - it's just that there could be a better layout that will give more strength.

I don't recall seeing your last sheath, but I suspect you now see what I see.

As I have to remind young folks sometimes, your best friends are not the ones who applaud everything you do; They're the ones that tell you when your zipper is down. People post work on here to have others comment so that they can continue to improve future pieces. Thefanninator makes some pretty nice stuff - including this sheath - but a pro always looks for ways to improve.

I once asked a pro about a project I was struggling with and he said something to the effect of, "..I'm not gonna take all that time to tell you how many ways you're going wrong...", and then he pointed me in a much better direction.

It's all good.

There's nothing "wrong" with the stitching - it's just that there could be a better layout that will give more strength.

I don't recall seeing your last sheath, but I suspect you now see what I see.

As I have to remind young folks sometimes, your best friends are not the ones who applaud everything you do; They're the ones that tell you when your zipper is down. People post work on here to have others comment so that they can continue to improve future pieces. Thefanninator makes some pretty nice stuff - including this sheath - but a pro always looks for ways to improve.

I once asked a pro about a project I was struggling with and he said something to the effect of, "..I'm not gonna take all that time to tell you how many ways you're going wrong...", and then he pointed me in a much better direction.

It's all good.

Cool, thanks. We'll see how the guy likes it. I may end up redoing the belt loop later on.