flipperjoint

Sewing Through Thick Spots With Juki 1541S

Hi All,

Newbie here and I'm having a problem sewing through thick spots/bumps of leather/zippers with the 1541s. When it hits the bump, the walker foot won't move forward and the needle just moves in place.

I wonder if it's because the pressure foot is too strong? Is there any way to adjust that?

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

You might try a Dritz Jean-a-ma-jig. I've never used one on leather, but not infrequently on fabric and webbing. I've used it behind then the needle sewing over thicker materials and also in front of of the needle sewing off thicker materials. Joann's also carries them.

http://www.amazon.com/Prym-Dritz-915-R-Jean-A-Ma-Jig/dp/B000J4IH0M

I've read that the hump-jumper was the original and can be gotten in a set of one or two thicknesses.

http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing.com/The-Hump-Jumper.html

I also have this set of five pressor foot spacers of various thicknesses.

http://www.threadstandhero.com/Presser_Foot_Spacers.html

See attached DNU-1541 image, this should make a difference trying to get up and over higher piles. Most machines of this type have this adjustment.

post-14272-0-90606500-1425911067_thumb.j

You might try a Dritz Jean-a-ma-jig. I've never used one on leather, but not infrequently on fabric and webbing. I've used it behind then the needle sewing over thicker materials and also in front of of the needle sewing off thicker materials. Joann's also carries them.

http://www.amazon.com/Prym-Dritz-915-R-Jean-A-Ma-Jig/dp/B000J4IH0M

I've read that the hump-jumper was the original and can be gotten in a set of one or two thicknesses.

http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing.com/The-Hump-Jumper.html

I also have this set of five pressor foot spacers of various thicknesses.

http://www.threadstandhero.com/Presser_Foot_Spacers.html

Those spacers are a nice idea, but only for people using a straight stitch fixed foot machine. The O.P. has a walking foot machine that exceeded its preset alternating foot lift height. The adjustment Gregg offered will increase the lift of the inside and outside feet, allowing him to walk and sew over thick seams in jeans.

Those spacers are a nice idea, but only for people using a straight stitch fixed foot machine. The O.P. has a walking foot machine that exceeded its preset alternating foot lift height. The adjustment Gregg offered will increase the lift of the inside and outside feet, allowing him to walk and sew over thick seams in jeans.

I have encountered what I thought was the same or similar situation as the OP with my walking-foot Juki 1508 being unable to walk-over a bump and stitching in-place. The spacer solved the problem, including hemming jeans.

I sew up to the bump with the needle buried, raise the foot and insert the spacer behind the needle and manually and sew up onto the bump. To sew off of the bump, while still on the bump I raise the foot with the needle buried, insert the spacer in front of the needle and manually sew over the drop-off before removing the spacer.

Edited by Tejas

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm going to try Gregg's suggestion tonight with the adjustments and if that doesn't solve it, i'll look into the spacers that Tejas mentioned.

I'll keep you all posted!

See attached DNU-1541 image, this should make a difference trying to get up and over higher piles. Most machines of this type have this adjustment.

Gregg's picture shows the upper feed arm at the lower marker line for the least amount of alternate vertical movement. My Juki 1508 came adjusted the same way. This thread describes the ability to walk-over humps as an advantage of increasing the vertical movement. According to the manual, the vertical movement adjustment can be varied from about 3 mm (lower marker line) to about 5 mm (upper marker line).

I'd like to know if there are disadvantages to increasing the vertical movement and what those disadvantages might be.

See attached guide, this is from the same LU-1500 series, but using the dial to make the same adjustment we are speaking about. Keep in mind that high piles would normally designate heaver applications as well.

post-14272-0-02240400-1426009345_thumb.j

Gregg's picture shows the upper feed arm at the lower marker line for the least amount of alternate vertical movement. My Juki 1508 came adjusted the same way. This thread describes the ability to walk-over humps as an advantage of increasing the vertical movement. According to the manual, the vertical movement adjustment can be varied from about 3 mm (lower marker line) to about 5 mm (upper marker line).

I'd like to know if there are disadvantages to increasing the vertical movement and what those disadvantages might be.

Your machine will pound more when the lift is higher. Lower lift makes for a smoother running machine. But, most leather sewers sew so slowly that they won't notice the change in vibration. I sometimes sew flat out, on long runs. When I know I will be doing that I lower the lift for less pounding. Then I forget and try to sew over thick seams and wonder why the feet won't climb as high as usual. Doh!