This is one of my latest projects. I'm looking for some harsh criticism to help me improve on every aspect of my craftsmanship. http://imgur.com/a/dyYZP

I don't do braiding myself, but from what I've seen, yours is quite nice! Your carving might need a little more practice, but it is not at all terrible, either. I also don't do sheridan, so yours is way beyond mine. ;)

I am of like mind as Miss Jacobson so far as carving and lacing go.

However 2 things I would watch is the center of the design on the center of the leather piece. Unless I am seeing things your design runs up hill from left to right. Also there seems to be a skipped stitch at the bottom of the wallet. The stitch maybe of necessity, I don't know. Maybe you can hide it somewhere else.

Just my 2 cents.

So well, as you Are looking for a "harsh" and somehow complete critic, I'll see what I can do for you ð

As I am seeing this only on my mobile phone, I might miss some points due to the fine detail which are not that easy to see on that screen size.

Lacing.:
Looks quite okay to me. I like the tone in tone.
Improvement: Use lacing chisels instead of hole punches. They'll align better and produce slits rather than holes. So the lace sits tighter.
Optional: Can't be sure of it, but use laces of max. One meter. Will show less abrasion from the working process!

2. Tooling.

I am not a master Toler myself, but I still might recognize some things...
For the swivel knife: You really seam to like decorative cuts, but don't overdo it you made quite a lot. Compare your quantity of cuts to some carving artists, look where, why and what for they are used. Take scrap pieces and practice! You got to smooth down your cutting lines.

Structure stamps:
Care for angles and alignment. Look at the leaf in the middle and compare the angles of its tips to those from your veiner, they don't match! Plus the background has a visible direction, because there's space between those stamp marks. And again.... Exsp. Stuff like the veiner: Don't overdo it!
With your beveler try to control the depth of your tooling, that can create depth in the motive. That depends on your knife cuts, too btw.

Colour:
Work more evenly. Your red looks a little semi transparent (not covering at all) and quite uneven. I guess you work with water based colors... Try spirit or oil based stuff (gotta thin it for lighter colors). Or if you work with those apply more coats. For the black background: Work with a fine brush from the center to the corners. If you go directly to the edges with a heavy "loaded" brush, the dye might soak into. The leather far more than just to the edge.... And you loose definition.
So this is just a rough "mobile overview", I hope it might be of use for you.

Thanks for all the advice yall. I'm very grateful for the time spent looking over my work and I'll take your advice moving forward. Practice practice practice the only way I learn.

Edited by ChefJack

Can you give me more details about the lace you used?

In particular, which are the width and the thickness of it?

The double loop lacing you did looks good as is but if you want to take the lacing up a notch, look up Chiefs tutorial on Mexican round braid on youtube. It takes a bit more lace but the way it covers the edge you don't end up with what electrathon calls "spider legs" where it goes through the holes.

Here's the link to part 1

I don't think I can give better advise than has already been given. Your right too,

Practice, practice, practice !

On the bright side for myself,

I like your choice in lace/exterior coordination color !

I will be looking forward to your answer for handsw, also, what type of lace was this ?

If practiced this could be a show stopper in time. Wild B ill46

The lace is superior calf lace 1/8in. Wide.