sinpac

Dopp/toiletry Bag

I was wondering if any of you guys have a pattern for a Dopp/Toiletry Bag you might share.

Thanks,

Chris

The search feature at the top right is your friend.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=60062&hl=%2Bdopp+%2Bkit

Karina

The search feature at the top right is your friend.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=60062&hl=%2Bdopp+%2Bkit

Karina

I will keep that in mind on my next seach Karina. Thanks

tboyce

Has a pattern for a Dopp Bag.

Search: "tboyce" on this forum.

ferg

That is a nice dopp but I am looking for the one that has the zipper on the top.

A zippered one has not been offered up on the forums as of yet, but search Google for Dopp Kit/Toiletry bag patterns and you will get tons. They are done in fabric but I have made them with leather using those patterns, just need to adjust the pattern a tick for the thickness of the leather you are going to use which isn't much. Plenty of videos on Youtube of them being made as well.

Karina

I am just finishing one which I will be posting both the pics of as well as the pattern in the next week or so. Mine has an English bridle base and a waxed canvas upper but one could easily make the top section out of lighter weight leather as well. I will try to remember to put a link here when I post it. I am debating doing a tutorial on it because mixing canvas and leather is popular right now and I don't see of these style projects on here yet. I also wax my fabrics with my own wax. Keep watching.

Best patterns anywhere ( other than the ones shared on here ) is found at the local Goodwill store or other thrift shop. Find a kit like you want, pay $2 or $3 for it, take it apart seam by seam and use it as your pattern!!

Bill

Best patterns anywhere ( other than the ones shared on here ) is found at the local Goodwill store or other thrift shop. Find a kit like you want, pay $2 or $3 for it, take it apart seam by seam and use it as your pattern!!

Bill

This is a really good idea. Also, I will take and (if I'm not concerned about exactly duplicating it) drawing out my own pattern.

Okay, time to make one of these. Had never heard of a Dopp kit (always called it a toiletries kit) before today. Read about it in a novel this morning and this post is the first one I looked at since it had Dopp in the name. We'll see if I can get it finished before the wife's birthday trip in May to see the grandkids.

i've always called em a ditty bag (shrug)

Same here, ditty bag. Maybe a regional term.

Been thinking about making one since the last 2 were destroyed after vacationing. I may have to go custom cause the wife and I end up caring 2 bags, thinking of making one larger bag.

Same here, ditty bag. Maybe a regional term.

Growing up, my family always called it a "primp kit." I've heard ditty bag, toiletry bag, and Dopp Kit before, though.

I am just finishing one which I will be posting both the pics of as well as the pattern in the next week or so. Mine has an English bridle base and a waxed canvas upper but one could easily make the top section out of lighter weight leather as well. I will try to remember to put a link here when I post it. I am debating doing a tutorial on it because mixing canvas and leather is popular right now and I don't see of these style projects on here yet. I also wax my fabrics with my own wax. Keep watching.

Any updates TinkerTailor?

Any updates TinkerTailor?

Ummmmmmm.....Bag finished and gone, phone with 6 months of commissioned product photos, including these, which i stupidly had not backed up, stolen......

I may have the cardboard templates still.....I should make another anyways.

There is a nice step by step on imgur I found via Reddit, might be of help:

thanks for this info TFarage. I picked up some designer leather yesterday and made this up today. Lined it with silky liner material as well so it will appeal to the ladies as a make up bag as well

20170426_161800a.jpg

20170426_161807a.jpg

20170426_161837a.jpg

Edited by Halitech
spelling

On 4/17/2017 at 5:02 AM, TFarage said:

What was the link?

I'm fairly sure this is what Tfarage was referring to: https://imgur.com/gallery/NPZcW

Some variations have a different handle/loop on the end but the basic idea remains the same. All you need is a 12-16" separating zipper.