Is the Edge Kote that they sell more then just a dye? Does it also have something in it to slick or coat the edge? I was thinking of trying a small bottle.

Thanks,

Art

Is the Edge Kote that they sell more then just a dye? Does it also have something in it to slick or coat the edge? I was thinking of trying a small bottle.

Thanks,

Art

Art, I used to use it, but I don't anymore. It seems to have a plastic-ish feel to it once it's dry, kind of like acrylics. It sits on the leather almost like acrylics with a little penetration. I like to use regular old spirit dye or oil dye. Then slick it up. I think a dyed edge is more professional than edge kote.

Just my preference.

Marlon

Art, I used to use it, but I don't anymore. It seems to have a plastic-ish feel to it once it's dry, kind of like acrylics. It sits on the leather almost like acrylics with a little penetration. I like to use regular old spirit dye or oil dye. Then slick it up. I think a dyed edge is more professional than edge kote.

Just my preference.

Marlon

Hi Marlon,

If you have ever used Fiebing's Edge Dye, is it just a thicker dye? I'm thinking of giving it a try and following your method. One thing I like about the edge coatings, whether Fiebing's or LCI is that the finish dries to the touch in about 20 minutes. Do these dyes dry to the touch in about the same amount of time?

Thanks,

Ed

I think the edge kote does have something else in it, but I'd lean more towards a laquer. For some things, like really stringy leather, I like it. I use it as base coat, then go back and slick the edge by hand.

Hi Marlon,

If you have ever used Fiebing's Edge Dye, is it just a thicker dye? I'm thinking of giving it a try and following your method. One thing I like about the edge coatings, whether Fiebing's or LCI is that the finish dries to the touch in about 20 minutes. Do these dyes dry to the touch in about the same amount of time?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I think I have used that. Are you talking about the one that looks like a shoe dye bottle with a little sponge applicator on top? I have used that one and it's not any thicker than spirit dye, plus I can't control it like I can a burnt wool dauber.

Marlon

Ed,

I think I have used that. Are you talking about the one that looks like a shoe dye bottle with a little sponge applicator on top? I have used that one and it's not any thicker than spirit dye, plus I can't control it like I can a burnt wool dauber.

Marlon

I had a look at Zack White's catalog. THis is what they have:

http://www.eleatherworks.com/product.php?p...at=0&page=1

They also have the plastic applicator bottle, which may be the same stuff. Good to know it's not any thicker than regular dye.

ed

Fiebing's Edge Dye is a water-based dye, rather thinner than oil dye, but with a good penetration and strong colour. I usually mix it with about 30% gum arabic, and use it to dye edges. It can then be burnished immediately, and the gum brings up a good shine.

I had a look at Zack White's catalog. THis is what they have:

http://www.eleatherworks.com/product.php?p...at=0&page=1

They also have the plastic applicator bottle, which may be the same stuff. Good to know it's not any thicker than regular dye.

ed

Ed I haven't tried that one. However, I think I would still prefer the regular spirit dyes and oil dyes, because I can choose the color of the edges. They don't always have to be brown or black.

Just my .02

Marlon

Ed I haven't tried that one. However, I think I would still prefer the regular spirit dyes and oil dyes, because I can choose the color of the edges. They don't always have to be brown or black.

Just my .02

Marlon

That's right Marlon....in addition...you can burnish first and then dye, if you use spirit dyes, which enables you to get a really clean straight edge!

That's right Marlon....in addition...you can burnish first and then dye, if you use spirit dyes, which enables you to get a really clean straight edge!

Bob, I've always had a small problem if I burnish before dying. I seem to lock the fibers and they won't accept the dye very well, almost like a resist. So I usually dye first.

M.

Bob, I've always had a small problem if I burnish before dying. I seem to lock the fibers and they won't accept the dye very well, almost like a resist. So I usually dye first.

M.

Are you using an alcohol dye?.....you want penetration! I have a multistep burnishing process, I burish pretty hard, and I have no problems what-so-ever. I do NOT use Gum Tragacanth! I would love to dye first, but I can't get that neat clean dye line when I do....

Thanks,

Art

Art, I use Edge Kote and I like it. Everyone has their preference. I don't think you're risking much by trying a bottle to see if it works for you. As mentioned, the major downside is that it only comes in two colors, brown and black. The upside is that (used well) it provides really nice, professional-looking edges.

Good luck! -Alex

Art, I use Edge Kote and I like it. Everyone has their preference. I don't think you're risking much by trying a bottle to see if it works for you. As mentioned, the major downside is that it only comes in two colors, brown and black. The upside is that (used well) it provides really nice, professional-looking edges.

Good luck! -Alex

Try this source for additional colors. You may want to give them a call to see if they have colors not listed on the website.

http://sewwhatsupplies.com/cart/index.php?...;products_id=94

ed

Try this source for additional colors. You may want to give them a call to see if they have colors not listed on the website.

http://sewwhatsupplies.com/cart/index.php?...;products_id=94

ed

Try this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1uMUSZlgyjg and the edge gets a burnished color without dye.

Bob Stelmack

Fiebing's Edge Dye is a water-based dye, rather thinner than oil dye, but with a good penetration and strong colour. I usually mix it with about 30% gum arabic, and use it to dye edges. It can then be burnished immediately, and the gum brings up a good shine.

I hate the messiness of dye. Being water-based, does Fiebing's Edge Dye clean up easily from surfaces and skin?

I just got some edge dye in. It is alcohol based and doesn't seem to be very different from regular dye. A call to Fiebing's confirmed such.

I also asked questions about edge enamel and was told it was a bit difficult to use and not as flexible as Edge Kote.

I'm thinking about prepping my edges with dye and hen going over them with edge kote or a similar finish,so if the edge kote begins to wear off there will still be a dark background.

Ed