REN

Chinese High End Handmade Tool. Give Suggestions!

Wow, thanks for sharing all of these links. Some of them I knew already and others I didn't. I'll have something to read up on now.

If more comes to mind, don't hold back.

I have a Japanese friend who goes to Japan ever so often. He could possibly pick up stuff from Iwataya if I knew what to order. He told me that Iwataya is completely back ordered because of orders from other Asian countries.

Where is the store in japan exactly? I have a friend who frequents Japan too.

It's in Tokyo. Specifically Shitaya, Taito ku, Tokyo. Pretty close to Ueno station.

Here's the address 東京都台東区下谷2丁目7-1
Looks like it's right next to Iriya statiuon on the Hibiya line

Well it's not just made in China aspect, but price aspect as well. I mean $55 for an edger plus $15 shipping? I am about to get a Blanchard edger for $42 with shipping. And that is a very well established brand name.. If you are entering into this market, stay competitive..

Ever tried Blanchard edger? that's the one tool they make that is not worth spending money on. Stick to US made models on edgers, they work much better. I am talking about edge bevlers and not French edgers.

Tor

Ever tried Blanchard edger? that's the one tool they make that is not worth spending money on. Stick to US made models on edgers, they work much better. I am talking about edge bevlers and not French edgers.

Tor

+1 for ron's :D. Though very expensive, I heard a lot of good things about ron's edgers. Blanchard was ok.. a bit long for my taste and hard to use for corners.

I'm interested also, but will wait for Nigel's review...

+1 for ron's :D. Though very expensive, I heard a lot of good things about ron's edgers. Blanchard was ok.. a bit long for my taste and hard to use for corners.

I have many different style/types of edge bevelers, my favorite are the old stock Osborne / Gomp fine edgers. Why don't you take a look at what Bruce Johnson selling at his site.

Tor

Edited by Trox

I received a new set of pricking irons from South Korea yesterday and wanted to let people see them.
I paid $186, shipping included for a 10 tooth and a 2 tooth, 3mm spacing, (7spi) pair.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/246492734/3mm42mm-leather-stitching-prong-chisel?ref=shop_home_active_23

post-64965-0-39904000-1453696807_thumb.j

I do believe that the people who made these were proud of their work. The irons were packed in a foam box with cutouts for each piece, additionally the lid had matching foam inserts to cushion the items.

The box was wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed inside a bubble pack envelope. As I said, I believe the manufacturer is proud of his work. Shipping took 10 days.

The irons seem first rate. The entire iron is polished including each tooth. I used them on a couple of small pieces and they mark the leather clean and spacing is even between each tooth.

The next time I buy pricking irons I will be ordering from these people.

rick

I hope I loaded the picture correctly. The preview post view doesn't size the way I had wanted/

I received a new set of pricking irons from South Korea yesterday and wanted to let people see them.

I paid $186, shipping included for a 10 tooth and a 2 tooth, 3mm spacing, (7spi) pair.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/246492734/3mm42mm-leather-stitching-prong-chisel?ref=shop_home_active_23

attachicon.gifpricking-irons.jpg

I do believe that the people who made these were proud of their work. The irons were packed in a foam box with cutouts for each piece, additionally the lid had matching foam inserts to cushion the items.

The box was wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed inside a bubble pack envelope. As I said, I believe the manufacturer is proud of his work. Shipping took 10 days.

The irons seem first rate. The entire iron is polished including each tooth. I used them on a couple of small pieces and they mark the leather clean and spacing is even between each tooth.

The next time I buy pricking irons I will be ordering from these people.

rick

I hope I loaded the picture correctly. The preview post view doesn't size the way I had wanted/

Looks nice and very sharp!. I have seen that on etsy before. Seems like you don't need to use a diamond awl....

Looks nice and very sharp!. I have seen that on etsy before. Seems like you don't need to use a diamond awl....

An awl will still be needed. These are pricking irons not chisels, but you are right about them being sharp. They mark the leather with a light tap, no need for multiple hits to get a good mark.

I recieved tools from cmdachong. I'm very impressed. Every tooth is polished to perfection. It comes right out when pricking. Dare I say it makes my $280 Blanchards look like CS Osborne Irons. Here is a photo sorry for the bad lighting. I paid $80 for a 2+7 tooth 9SPI Iron. Great deal. I will never use a blanchard iron again. 9SPI with 632 Lin Cable

R83bo4s.jpg

Curious what method you used to get in touch with him, or if you used an english to chinese translation? I've emailed him to no response... it's been about two weeks. I'm about to just order some Amy Roke irons, but his price is better and I like the way these look.

Edited by pansa

Ok. I received the tools from cmdachong. I ordered the 3.85mm (9+2) for $100 and its around 7 TPI. Every tooth is around 1.85-2mm wide. The iron is well polished when I received it. Every tooth shines like a mirror and very sharp. It's chunky/thick and dwarfs the Japan prongs. Easily, hammering this iron twice will make it pass thru the leather. I didn't even use my awl the first time I tried it. All in all, I am very happy with the performance of cmdachong iron. However, comparing it to my friend's Amy Roke irons, I have to be honest that Amy Roke irons look way better (still waiting for my copy).

sTFyhv4.jpg

Curious what method you used to get in touch with him, or if you used an english to chinese translation? I've emailed him to no response... it's been about two weeks. I'm about to just order some Amy Roke irons, but his price is better and I like the way these look.

I also have cmdachong irons. Honestly, I would rather go with AmyRoke irons. Looks better and thicker. There is a reason why the chinese leatherguys would wait 2 months and pay 2x for AmyRoke irons.

I also have cmdachong irons. Honestly, I would rather go with AmyRoke irons. Looks better and thicker. There is a reason why the chinese leatherguys would wait 2 months and pay 2x for AmyRoke irons.

Who cares how the iron looks... as long as it works? Doesn't seem to be worth double the price for some fancier aesthetics.

I don't know of any good leatherworking guys waiting on the AmyRokes... its just pushed by SimaPrague (they're probably giving him money/products for shoutouts) and all of his fanboys are just following suit. All of the good leatherworkers are either happy with their Blanchards, or have picked up a set of Japanese or Korean Irons that are perfectly fine.

You are correct. Both perform the same, just like blanchards. I just like how amy roke iron looks.

Edited by multivitamins

Who cares how the iron looks... as long as it works? Doesn't seem to be worth double the price for some fancier aesthetics.

I don't know of any good leatherworking guys waiting on the AmyRokes... its just pushed by SimaPrague (they're probably giving him money/products for shoutouts) and all of his fanboys are just following suit. All of the good leatherworkers are either happy with their Blanchards, or have picked up a set of Japanese or Korean Irons that are perfectly fine.

Peter Nitz is a huge fan of the Roke irons too. He has them all over his IG

Thanks for the help everyone.While the Amy Rokes are beautiful and have good reviews, I've decided to go ahead and order from cmdachong since he replied to me yesterday and has such reasonable prices. I'm not interested in selling my work (nor is it up to snuff to do so just yet) so it's a hobby that is not yet paying for itself. I'll report back on my thoughts when they arrive!

Thanks for the help everyone.While the Amy Rokes are beautiful and have good reviews, I've decided to go ahead and order from cmdachong since he replied to me yesterday and has such reasonable prices. I'm not interested in selling my work (nor is it up to snuff to do so just yet) so it's a hobby that is not yet paying for itself. I'll report back on my thoughts when they arrive!

:thumbsup: you will surely enjoy his tools. Just remember to follow him up when you order and confirm when he will ship. Also, take note that the chinese new year is very near. Hence, most cnc factory will take a break within this week with delays in production. Plus, most shipping companies will be closed. Just expect some delays. Chinese new year is a big thing is china and normally every work stops to celebrate.

:thumbsup: you will surely enjoy his tools. Just remember to follow him up when you order and confirm when he will ship. Also, take note that the chinese new year is very near. Hence, most cnc factory will take a break within this week with delays in production. Plus, most shipping companies will be closed. Just expect some delays. Chinese new year is a big thing is china and normally every work stops to celebrate.

Good to know! Thanks for your help.

There are some nice irons on Etsy by seller called goodnleather. I purchased a set. They are Benedicts irons. They are well made, polished and marked how many stitches per inch. They are stitching chisels and they work great. Just another alternative.

How did you get ahold of him, which set did you get and how much..!?!?

How did you get ahold of him, which set did you get and how much..!?!?

I followed him on instagram (@cmdachong) and emailed him at the address listed on his profile there. He didn't respond for a couple weeks, then I noticed he posted something and emailed him again immediately. This time he responded. He seems pretty busy, and I'm sure this time of year he will be extra slow in responding since it is the Chinese New Year holiday season and the whole country shuts down until mid Feb.

Cool, how much did you end up paying for the set? I jus got my invoice from Amy Roke ..!!

I followed him on instagram (@cmdachong) and emailed him at the address listed on his profile there. He didn't respond for a couple weeks, then I noticed he posted something and emailed him again immediately. This time he responded. He seems pretty busy, and I'm sure this time of year he will be extra slow in responding since it is the Chinese New Year holiday season and the whole country shuts down until mid Feb.

Those etsy pricking irons from South Korea don't look too well-made. Probably better than Tandy, but nowhere near Blanchard or Amy Roke.

Have any of you tried the edgers from cmdachong or Muxi Lu? I'm very happy with my Rons and my Barry Kings, however I wouldnt mind trying some new ones.

Those etsy pricking irons from South Korea don't look too well-made. Probably better than Tandy, but nowhere near Blanchard or Amy Roke.

Have any of you tried the edgers from cmdachong or Muxi Lu? I'm very happy with my Rons and my Barry Kings, however I wouldnt mind trying some new ones.

Since I posted the original message about the South Korean irons I'll defend their quality. If you wish to compare them to Blanchard here you go. The quality is quite a bit better than my Blanchard's, especially notice the finish where the teeth start. The Blanchard's look like someone was in a hurry to start the weekend and didn't have time to finish the polishing. In fact it looks like they didn't even make an attempt at polishing.

The cost between the irons shown was about $20.00. $20.00 for a 10 + 2 tooth vs. a 5 + 2 tooth. The Blanchards were the most expensive.

Bad mouth them if you wish but they are a much better quality and price than Blanchard's.

My money will go to S. Korea for pricking irons and not France.

rick

post-64965-0-31939800-1454983268_thumb.j

post-64965-0-46669900-1454983306_thumb.j

post-64965-0-00323200-1454983361_thumb.j

post-64965-0-03759200-1454983406_thumb.j

Edited by rickdroid

Nice topic here. I'm looking to fill the gaps in my tool set and excited to find lesser known makes.

Amy Roke is a bit cheaper on their Taobao shop so I blindly took the leap with my wife and Asia-based friends guiding (reading for) me. We chose the ship-to-Taobao option for 30 yuan instead of paying 30 yuan to Taobao to allow me to contact the seller to post. Yeah, maybe should have dealt direct via e-mail but it's a learning experience. Apparently, there are third parties whose business is to fetch your stuff from Taobao's warehouse and pass on to you. If Taobao/agents gouge us on US shipping or can't post to US, I'll just ship to a friend in Asia and figure things out later.

I expect delays with their new year holiday. From the sound of their email, they don't have stock on hand and we have to wait for production to resume.