REN

Chinese High End Handmade Tool. Give Suggestions!

Hello I'm from China and I knew there are a bunch of Chinese craftsman that makes high end tools for a very good piece. Their quality are absolutely terrific as examed by many leatherworkers in China that used rons tools, vergez Blanchard or many other branded or nonbranded great tools. You know, Chinese are willing to spend ton of money to try everything out if they are interested in it.

I know this guy whose id is cmdachong on Instagram, he makes the best edgers in China. He was the first one in China that makes leather goods and then started making high end leather tools. For example, he used Ron 's and Douglas and learned from them and took many many suggestions to improve his edgers. And for other tools he also own a lot of branded ones. He hand polished every tool he made and they all use very good steel and wood or you can choose what you want. For example, you can choose tool steel or m390 for his French style beveler. The edger and beveler are $40 and they are a work of beauty.

My Instagram I'd is RenLeather and I post several images of pricking irons, feel free to go ahead and check that out as you will definitely shocked by the quality.$100 for a set of irons usually.

I'm sharing the information here and I want to know if anybody is interested in any of these tools. I don't see many tool maker in usa and if do they usually charge very high price(for a international student like me at least) if anyone is interested please let me know cause I'm considering be a reseller of these tools. Thanks in advance!

post-60694-0-12206800-1427478359_thumb.j

post-60694-0-17559300-1427478375_thumb.j

post-60694-0-77524900-1427478384_thumb.j

post-60694-0-74517500-1427478392_thumb.j

post-60694-0-54232400-1427478400_thumb.j

post-60694-0-86566300-1427478426_thumb.j

I'd be interested in looking at those irons, can you tell me what they made of and if there is any hardening in the process?

Regards

Nigel

Armitage Leather

www.armitageleather.com

REN,

I'd be interested in both the iron set and an edger set.

Dan

I'm interested in the pricking irons and the edge beveler.

Regards Dave

very interesting

Definitely interested in good quality tools Ren.

Hi thanks for your attention! These tools are famous in China but I have not lay a hand on them. I just ordered some to try out to make sure they are really great before offially selling them, I want to be responsible. But if you do want any of them just let me know! I have a shipment that will arrive around the middle of APRIL, this will be the very first shipment.

Also I will sell the ruler in the pictures that are great for cut or mark a round edge. Translucent plastic is $8 and metal for 20 without shipping. I will use first class mail to ship so shipping will be about $2. Let me know if you are interested and which one do you like. Thanks!

post-60694-0-70850200-1427631556_thumb.j

post-60694-0-77067500-1427631567_thumb.j

Edited by REN

I would be interested in a set of beveler and edgers. I don't use instagram. Is there any other way to get ahold of the maker?

Thanks

I would be interested in a set of beveler and edgers. I don't use instagram. Is there any other way to get ahold of the maker?

Thanks

You can just talk to me, I am his partner in USA. He doesn't know much English and it's always me helping him answering all questions in english...

I'd be interested in looking at those irons, can you tell me what they made of and if there is any hardening in the process?

Regards

Nigel

Armitage Leather

www.armitageleather.com

Hi Nigel, I watched all your videos on youtube! The irons are made of dc53 tool steel and yes there is hardening, hrc is 62(or so, if you want exact number I will ask), which is very hard and will not bent. I can send you a set to test out if you are kind enough to make a video for the beautiful tools! I don't want to officially sell them before a review because many people don't understand the deiiference between a good one and a cheap one. I am afraid they received it and think it's a cheap Chinese iron that I sell for high price. But Chinese workers who I know own this and blanchard at the same time use this pricking iron as their daily driver. It's beautiful and functional.

Hi Nigel, I watched all your videos on youtube! The irons are made of dc53 tool steel and yes there is hardening, hrc is 62(or so, if you want exact number I will ask), which is very hard and will not bent. I can send you a set to test out if you are kind enough to make a video for the beautiful tools! I don't want to officially sell them before a review because many people don't understand the deiiference between a good one and a cheap one. I am afraid they received it and think it's a cheap Chinese iron that I sell for high price. But Chinese workers who I know own this and blanchard at the same time use this pricking iron as their daily driver. It's beautiful and functional.

Hello Ren, a video is the first thing i would do with them and the main reason I would like to take a look.

I will happily put them through their paces and add the specifications to the list.

The broader the list available, the better people are able to make the right decision on the right tool.

Drop me an email to nigel@armitageleather.com and we will discus it further.

Regards

Nigel

Ok keep me posted when the tools become available and pricing.

Thanks,

Phill

Is that a Gomph style edger? Picture does not show much.

I would be interested in the pricking irons, when will you have prices???

Oh those edgers do look sexy. I am interested in the set and I need a good beveler as well. Put me on the list, save my name and message me when you ready to sell.

I have one of these guys in instagram but he sells through email and paypal. Has there been any more info on these? like a website or something

I have one of these guys in instagram but he sells through email and paypal. Has there been any more info on these? like a website or something

You can just contact him for the price and such.

So @cmdachong decided to sell on his own, if anyone is interested, you can just go ahead and contact him through his email, snowlets@sina.com . Thank you guys for the interest though, I did want to establish a small business with him. I am looking for other high end tools for good price.

Thanks for letting us know Ren.

Hey Stevenson, do you have a contact or website for the person you are refering to?

Thanks,

Phill

Thanks for letting us know Ren.

Hey Stevenson, do you have a contact or website for the person you are refering to?

Thanks,

Phill

Nope sorry, @cmdachong is who I have on instagram and it appears he does business through email (snowlets@sina.com) as REN also mentioned and you pay through paypal.

Has anyone bought any of these tools they can maybe review/tell us about? Maybe we can get a list of the tools and prices.

I emailed the guy and got this reply:

"So glad to hear from you.

I do pricking irons ,edgers , awl and so on.
Pricking irons. 3mm 2+7 teeth, 80USD
3.38mm 2+7/8 teeth 80 USD
3.85mm
5mm 2+4+8teeth 120USD
Edgers #0#2#3#4#5#6#7#8 can deal with leathers 0.8 mm-4mm. 55USD per one, you can buy any size alone!
Awl is matched to the pricking iron!28USD
Stitching pony 60 USD!
Shipping fee is about 15USD!
You can tell me what you need , i will think about if i can make."

Hope this helps some of you.

This is very interesting. It looks as though this fellow is a very talented tool maker. His workmanship looks top notch.

I believe he faces quite a challenge however, in overcoming the stigma, which still exists, concerning the "made in China" label.

Especially with regard to the prices he is asking.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are many talented craftsman in China. I know several of them. I lived in China for a time. My wife is Chinese. I have friends there. I love the place. So this critique is in no way a bash against China. While I certainly hope he can succeed in this endevour, and wish him the best, I think he has a real challenge on his hands.

The tools look beautiful. I do have one concern on the materials, however. And I could be off base. But the wood used for the handles of his tools make me wince a bit. I have a particular interest in exotic hardwoods and have studied their use in China quite a bit. I would like to think that his wood is coming from a sustainable source but, knowing what I do about it, I seriously doubt it. China is one of the, if not the biggest users and exploiters of rare, threatened and unsustainable exotic hardwoods in the world. The remaining old growth forests of Asia and Southeast Asia are be decimated by the insatiable demand in China.

On my soap box here, and I truely hope I'm wrong about his sources. I think I'll write to him and ask him. But as it stands, I would personally be very reluctant to buy any tool, or any other product from China, made from exotic hardwoods.

My two cents.

This is very interesting. It looks as though this fellow is a very talented tool maker. His workmanship looks top notch.

I believe he faces quite a challenge however, in overcoming the stigma, which still exists, concerning the "made in China" label.

Especially with regard to the prices he is asking.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are many talented craftsman in China. I know several of them. I lived in China for a time. My wife is Chinese. I have friends there. I love the place. So this critique is in no way a bash against China. While I certainly hope he can succeed in this endevour, and wish him the best, I think he has a real challenge on his hands.

The tools look beautiful. I do have one concern on the materials, however. And I could be off base. But the wood used for the handles of his tools make me wince a bit. I have a particular interest in exotic hardwoods and have studied their use in China quite a bit. I would like to think that his wood is coming from a sustainable source but, knowing what I do about it, I seriously doubt it. China is one of the, if not the biggest users and exploiters of rare, threatened and unsustainable exotic hardwoods in the world. The remaining old growth forests of Asia and Southeast Asia are be decimated by the insatiable demand in China.

On my soap box here, and I truely hope I'm wrong about his sources. I think I'll write to him and ask him. But as it stands, I would personally be very reluctant to buy any tool, or any other product from China, made from exotic hardwoods.

My two cents.

Well it's not just made in China aspect, but price aspect as well. I mean $55 for an edger plus $15 shipping? I am about to get a Blanchard edger for $42 with shipping. And that is a very well established brand name.. If you are entering into this market, stay competitive..