Hedge

screwed up...need help

Had a bounce on my slot cutter. Anyone have a way to clean up this cut before I scrap all the work and start over? Wouldn't be so bad but it's going to be on an exposed portion.

Hedge

IMG_3187.jpg

post-6209-1226982806_thumb.jpg

Had a bounce on my slot cutter. Anyone have a way to clean up this cut before I scrap all the work and start over? Wouldn't be so bad but it's going to be on an exposed portion.

Hedge

Punch one more slot so the bullet is over the error when the leather is woven in.

Bob Stelmack

Good idea, Bob. Hopefully there's enough room for that. I've been playing with the idea of pulling a loop through the slot instead of weaving through them...maybe this would be a good place to try that?

Other than that....run a stamp between the loops and make it more decorative. That should allow you to hide the bounce pretty well.

I thought about wrapping the leather between the holes with lace. Maybe it could be done in a decorative way??

Just gotta check if theres is enough clearance for the connecting strap otherwise one could file up the holes a bit.

Tom

If the bullet is big enough and the strap is thick enough they may cover most of it. then use a slicker to disguise the rest of the error. Or use a stamp like barbed wire around the edges of each slot. Start the strap from the back side of the 1st slot and feed it back through each slot so the loop is formed at each slot instead of every other one.

P1010027.JPG

post-4868-1227015570_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Hedge

I just finished a gunbelt like this and I tried the meathod that Mike and Jordan suggested, "run the lope in the same hole" I is very "clean" looking and the shells are so close together it looks very professional. I am never looking back at sewing loops again!

Well look at it this way, Ya got one to try it on!! :Holysheep:

Hope this helps,

Rick Jorgenson

Punch one more slot so the bullet is over the error when the leather is woven in.

Bob Stelmack

Good idea, Bob. Bad thing is that it's at the very end where the loop leather will exit and be laced to

the belt. It's on one of my Quigley's, so the design is fixed. :(

Good idea, Bob. Hopefully there's enough room for that. I've been playing with the idea of pulling a loop through the slot instead of weaving through them...maybe this would be a good place to try that?

Other than that....run a stamp between the loops and make it more decorative. That should allow you to hide the bounce pretty well.

Mike, I'll give stamping a try and see how it looks. This was my last piece of quality leather and there's no time to get another. Guess I'm kinda quirky...I'd rather try to hide a mistake rather than waste a fine

cut of hide. I've got another piece but it's flanky on the back and I won't send out a flanky backed belt.

I thought about wrapping the leather between the holes with lace. Maybe it could be done in a decorative way??

Just gotta check if theres is enough clearance for the connecting strap otherwise one could file up the holes a bit.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the idea. I think I'll try it on another belt. This one, though, won't have the room.

If the bullet is big enough and the strap is thick enough they may cover most of it. then use a slicker to disguise the rest of the error. Or use a stamp like barbed wire around the edges of each slot. Start the strap from the back side of the 1st slot and feed it back through each slot so the loop is formed at each slot instead of every other one.

I like this idea, Jordan. It's definitely something I'll work up on a different style belt. Unfortunately, it won't work on this one. The cut will be on an exposed portion. The paper path shows how the loop leather is supposed to run on this design.

I just finished a gunbelt like this and I tried the meathod that Mike and Jordan suggested, "run the lope in the same hole" I is very "clean" looking and the shells are so close together it looks very professional. I am never looking back at sewing loops again!

Well look at it this way, Ya got one to try it on!! :Holysheep:

Hope this helps,

Rick Jorgenson

Rick,

Thanks for the input. Yup, going to give the method a try on my next six-gun belt. I assume you just run some lacing through the loops in the back to keep things together? Know what you mean about stitching. Sure gets old fast!

btw-love your avitar. :gun:

just a thought as i`m not sure it would fit with the overall aesthetic of the design but how about a patch, possibly tooled, cut to match the slots overlaid before the strap is fed through. Might mean additional sewing to secure but could a "reinforcement" piece or "scuff protector". Not sure but maybe it could even be inlaid.

anyways... just a thought from someone without a scooby :)

Edited by Merrik

just a thought as i`m not sure it would fit with the overall aesthetic of the design but how about a patch, possibly tooled, cut to match the slots overlaid before the strap is fed through. Might mean additional sewing to secure but could a "reinforcement" piece or "scuff protector". Not sure but maybe it could even be inlaid.

Thanks, Merrik. That's not a bad idea! I'll work one up on a piece of scrap and see how it looks. That won't significantly change the design. :)

perhaps this added piece could be a pig ostrich or stingray inlay?

or maybe tanned black while rest of belt is mahagony?

or maybe could rivet a sheet of copper (polished) to the belt - with the loops sticking out thru it?

no worries..... hope it helps. Will be good to see how it turns out if it works :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate your help. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Here's a pic of a test piece with the solution I've decided to go with. Once everything is

dyed, all should blend.

Hedge

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

post-6209-1227209200_thumb.jpg

post-6209-1227209337_thumb.jpg