leaky5

Handles For A Hangbag

I am currently making a handbag for my wife, I am happy with most of it, but I having trouble thinking about the handles. I dont really just want to do flat handles with the flesh side on the reverse.

So I have a few options.

Buy some ready made ones, but these may not match the colour (black) well enough.

Or maybe use some 1mm thick leather, first creating the handle and then wrapping another layer over the top for the hand grip and sewing through both layers.

Does anyone have any good tutorials on handle making they could link me to ?

check out Arthur Porter youtube video's, "how to make a leather tote without a gusset" he shows how to make a round handle

with leather and rope.

Unless it is a surprise, ask her what style she wants. Some only want round, some hate those. Flat is easiest for you. I would put a stay or liner of felt inside two straps. The leather cut edges can be sewn and then finished or you can turn them and stitch them. The latter is a more polished look, but all depends on what you are after. If she carries much or for a long time, she will thank you for the felt. If she chooses round, well that is a bit more work. You can use rope, covered cording, or even rounded leather. Glue your leather around that, stitch as close to the cording as you can then trim and finish the edges. Don't forget to work out how you plan to attach it to the bag, either via hardware or directly sewing to it. Want to guess why I put that little reminder there? :oops:

Good luck.

Blue duck makes a great point about asking the wife. I made a purse for my youngest daughter and she loves it. But when my wife and I discussed me making one for her, she said, "I don't want those metal things connecting the strap to the bag". If I had proceeded I would be remaking the purse! So show her options that you can make without too much difficulty. Good luck!

BTW, Porter's videos are great. Love the way he says gussy.

Thanks for the replies. It is a suprise, so I have been looking at all her current ones. I have plently of time, dont need it finished until September. So first I will have an experiment with making a handle out of two layers as I mention in the OP.

I will pop up some pictures when I have done it.

Hunio Had a great tutorial a few weeks back here on LWN, I believe it was titled "Lil Red Bag"

It is most likely still in show off section. or possible to find in search ? ------ Wild Bill46

Are you doing a shoulder strap and handles or just handles?

Does this help,

Here is what I have come up with as a test piece, I am quite happy with it. The piece coming out of the end can twist 90 deg and could have a ring or go straight onto the bag body. The hand part bends nicely as well, with no kinks.

17195065942_6479130ae2_b.jpg

Edited by leaky5