thekid77

Using Leather Sewing Machine To Poke The Holes In Thick Leather...

has anyone ever used a leather sewing machine to just poke the holes for the stitching without any thread, and then saddle stitched it after?

seems like this could really be useful for getting through thick leather if it would work...i have zero knowledge of leather sewing machines so please forgive me

Edited by thekid77

I have read a couple people do this with the tippman boss. Not sure why they did it this way.

I may be one of them, glockanator, . . . as I do it sometimes.

Most of the time it is because I have a very lazy streak in myself.

It can be easier to poke the holes and hand sew it, . . . than to mess around adjusting the tension to get the stitches right on the thick stuff, . . . then have to mess around straightening it up again for the thinner stuff.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Oh, . . .and yes kid77, . . . when I do it, . . . it is definitely saddle stitching for that project part.

I have also been known to use it to space the stitches correctly, . . . and make sure they are straight up and down, . . . something I have never perfected to my standards with an awl.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I have an diamond awl point I put in my treadle machine to mark stitches. I can set a guide on my machine to do perfect Parrallel stitch lines. I can also punch the back and front separately and then put them together after and they line up. I find I get better backside stitching this way as the holes are the same both sides. My white rotary will do 7or 8 spi and up

post-11790-0-83161400-1431299848_thumb.jpost-11790-0-83161400-1431299848_thumb.jI do it quite often when doing a box stitch- makes sure the holes are evenly spaced out and on a nice straight line. Its a whole lot easier to handstich a box stitch than trying to use a machine and messing up every other item.

I have seen people do this with Belt Keepers. Poke the holes and then stitch by hand ..