Aerie53

Punching Surface: Rubber Vs Marble Vs Granite

Good morning my friends, I am new here and new to leather work, but have in deed falling in love with this art; specifically, holster making. My question is, what type of surface should I use to punch in belt loops etc? It seems to me a hard marble, or granite surface would eventually destroy the punching edge (Craftool Heavy Duty Oblong Leather Punch 1-1/2), JMO. Please, can someone offer me some advice?

PS, the fellowship here is AWESOME!!!

Stone is for stamping on the surface. Rubber or poly is for punching through the leather. Never drive your tools into a stone, it will make you say naughty words.

Welcome to the forum! Ditto to what electrathon said, but you could also back your project with a piece of scrap leather and a piece of wood. Originally this was how I did it but now I just do the same as electrathon.

Thank you so much!!

Welcome to the forum! There's a holster making business for sale ;) I have made the best results for hole punching etc. with a poly board as I found that the rubber board was too forgiving and didn't really work for softer leathers. I have to admit that I really hate it when I have to hit the punch twice.

I've heard end grain hardwood is awesome, and I'm going to glue something up as soon as I get out of this apartment and into a place where I can work w/ wood. for now I use either a cheep cutting board, or a piece of 12oz scrap depending on my mood, and what I'm punching.

Thanks to all of you, I appriciate your responses; I hope to post pics soon!

I have a clicker pad I use but over time the surface gets soft and will need to be planed down it will also mark the leather. The best results I have found is to use a piece of cast off leather such as a heavy piece of neck. I put the neck leather on my granite or my anvil, which ever is handier. When the leather gets filled with hole marks, get a new piece.

JOE

Thank you Joe, good info..

Hi Joe, Welcome to THE very best leather site on the net. I agree with electrathon, Bob naughty words will come forth

when using any type of stone for punching.

I use a combination of Plastic kitchen board under rubber mat, No words hoho ----- Wild Bill46