vpd66

Singer 111W155 Hook Question

I had to replace my hook in my Singer 111w155. I bought a quality replacement hook and it went in good. The only question I have is should the hook touch the needle when it goes by it? My new hook actually touches and bends the needle over about .060. My old hook didn't touch the needle but was very close. I've sewn with the new hook and it seems fine but when I hand roll the machine over it feels like a bind spot when the hook passes the needle. I've read the manuals and nothing is said (or maybe I missed it) about the hook touching or moving the needle over. Should I bend the hook in a little so it isn't bending that needle when it passes it? I also tried a new needle and I got the same results.So my needle wasn't bent.

It should not contact the hook, and it would not be a good idea to bend the hook in any way.

You will have to move the good hook over a bit, I think they call it the saddle as that's the casting holding the hook assy.

You might take a look at some singer post on here they are unmatched on the net .

There is a guard on the hook and it also has an adjustment, get some pop corn and do a search you will enjoy it as you have a singer.

Good day there

I set the hook to just bump the needle slightly, then bend the guard on the hook out just enough to deflect the needle clear of the hook. You want the hook as tight as you can get it. When you sew, the needle deflects to the left, more with thicker material. If you have the guard already putting a slight pressure on the needle, the needle will bend less. This prevents skipped stitches and thread breakage. You don't want to sew until you've corrected this, it will kick up a burr on your new hook and you'll have to emery it clean already.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-76307700-1432009781_thumb.j

Gottaknow and brmax are on the correct path for sure, I was just thinking about this book section on 111W repair. See attached in case you don't have this one.http://keysew.com/Webpages/DemoImages/USNavySinger111WConsew225REPAIR.pdf

Thanks guys!!! I loosened the 2 screws and moved the hook assembly over a little until it wasn't touching the needle. Tightened and lubed everything and now it is sewing great! Gregg that is one of the best manuals I've seen on this machine. I have the Singer manual, but it is old, the pictures aren't that good, and its a little hard to follow. Thanks!!!

Thanks guys!!! I loosened the 2 screws and moved the hook assembly over a little until it wasn't touching the needle. Tightened and lubed everything and now it is sewing great! Gregg that is one of the best manuals I've seen on this machine. I have the Singer manual, but it is old, the pictures aren't that good, and its a little hard to follow. Thanks!!!

Oldie but goodie, I wish all manuals were that good. Most are not even close.

Navy manuals tend to be exceptionally good, easy reads. I expect that's because Marines have to read them too.

Ok. Just kidding!!

Bill