This is a copy, as close as I can make it, of a rifle scabbard made by Frank Meanea of Cheyenne, Wyoming, in the 1890s.

post-9677-0-65817700-1432829453_thumb.jp

Edited by Brushpopper

That looks fantastic! I think you nailed the style. I enjoy studying the old time carving styles.

Yes, i agree with Bob. Fantastic work!!! Love this "old time" style of tooling. I would like to know more about this technique

That is way nice.

I Love It!

Thanks, pards. The early styles were derived from Mexican tooling, which was flat and schematic. When Anglo saddlers copied the equipment of vaqueros, they copied the carving style as well. In time, the Anglos adapted this style and made it more three-dimensional. It turned into the floral style with which we're all familiar.

The original, vernacular style still exists in Central America in varying degrees of sophistication.

The image below shows a scabbard I'm making that is closer to that Mexican style.

post-9677-0-71579900-1433106632_thumb.jp

I'm very interested in this tooling style. Do you have any suggestions for books or online resources to get more info on it?

I don't know jack about different tooling styles. I do know I think yours looks really good.

Looks great, all that tooling must have taken forever. I can't imagine how long that whole thing took to put together.

Stu

Thanks, compadres. Yes, it took a lot of time, since both sides are fully tooled.

The books 'Packing Iron' by Richard Rattenbury and 'Cowboys & The Trappings of the Old West' by William Manns and Elizabeth Clair Flood are the best introductions to the subject. There are fine examples of early work in both.

You got a winner there ! I like your cunning craftsman ability too ! --- Wild Bill46

Thanks, pards.

This is another copy of a nineteenth century original.

post-9677-0-65764500-1434042283_thumb.jp

Edited by Brushpopper