Hi,

I have been asked if I can do Hand Cuff Cases.

I am looking for advice on what someone would look for in a hand cuff case (not color or tooling) style or design would be what I need to know.

Is full cover desired over partial? Snaps? direction of snap pull?

I don't know any LEO's so my options are only looking at photos on the internet.

Any advice on what works well/best would be of help.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Rickybobby is this for duty carry on a duty belt or concealed carry? If he wants it for concealed carry does he want it open topped or just a retention strap instead of a full flap like on a duty version?

When I was wearing them on duty I had to use what was given to me, but it always ticked me that easy access was an issue, as this was a fully enclosed/covered case. There are safety snaps that would prevent others from grabbing the cuffs, which are used a lot on LEO holsters.

One question would be whether it will be for a single handcuff or 2 and if plastic "cuffs" will be carried with it as well...

Comfort definitely is an issue. So the metal towards the body should be fully covered. User's preferences should be asked. Some like to wear it centered, some on the side or partially on the back. Wearing it centered allows access with either hand and may be of an advantage. This would mean the cuffs should be positioned vertical. The other two would call for a slanted case.

Then there are preferences towards pull or drop, which would mean a safety snap would have to be used for sure.

Check back with the departments rules and guidelines. They may have some restrictions.

However, I believe you should contact immiketoo on here, he's still serving and wears them daily.

I make only one style, which is intended for non-uniform use. Fairly simple design with open top, open bottom, folded belt loop on back, two welted seams at the sides. Handcuffs are inserted with chain and locking points down. Leather is wet-formed over the cuffs for retention.

When I was a working cop I preferred open top handcuff cases in uniform because when you are cuffing someone they are not always being cooperative and I didn't want to fumble with a covered pouch and flap closure. When working plain clothes I just carry my handcuffs looped over my belt and waistband.

post-7487-0-23692600-1433770574_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-15466000-1433771057_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-56613000-1433771093_thumb.jp

Edited by Lobo

When I was on duty, I had an open cuff case in front of my holster and a closed cuff case in the middle of my back. The closed case had a full leather flap that snapped in place.

All issued equipment, no personal items were allowed.

I have to use nylon duty gear but the cuff case in front holds two sets of cuffs. It closes with a flap that has both velcro and a single snap.

It resembles this one:

41wiHt7eVBL._AC_UL320_SR302,320_.jpg

Rickybobby is this for duty carry on a duty belt or concealed carry? If he wants it for concealed carry does he want it open topped or just a retention strap instead of a full flap like on a duty version?

I never got that far in the conversation with them because I really did not know what questions to ask. It helps to see some options so the the conversation for an order can progress (it would look like I knew what I was talking about!) lol!! The couple times I have been approached it was for "off duty".

When I was wearing them on duty I had to use what was given to me, but it always ticked me that easy access was an issue, as this was a fully enclosed/covered case. There are safety snaps that would prevent others from grabbing the cuffs, which are used a lot on LEO holsters.

One question would be whether it will be for a single handcuff or 2 and if plastic "cuffs" will be carried with it as well...

Comfort definitely is an issue. So the metal towards the body should be fully covered. User's preferences should be asked. Some like to wear it centered, some on the side or partially on the back. Wearing it centered allows access with either hand and may be of an advantage. This would mean the cuffs should be positioned vertical. The other two would call for a slanted case.

Then there are preferences towards pull or drop, which would mean a safety snap would have to be used for sure.

Check back with the departments rules and guidelines. They may have some restrictions.

However, I believe you should contact immiketoo on here, he's still serving and wears them daily.

Thanks for the info! Some questions for me to ask.

I make only one style, which is intended for non-uniform use. Fairly simple design with open top, open bottom, folded belt loop on back, two welted seams at the sides. Handcuffs are inserted with chain and locking points down. Leather is wet-formed over the cuffs for retention.

When I was a working cop I preferred open top handcuff cases in uniform because when you are cuffing someone they are not always being cooperative and I didn't want to fumble with a covered pouch and flap closure. When working plain clothes I just carry my handcuffs looped over my belt and waistband.

Ray, thanks for you info. I always get so much from your posts through the years. The style that you show is probably the type I have been asked for. If you don't mind, may I "barrow" you style shown? I think it would be one for me to at least show a client.

When I was on duty, I had an open cuff case in front of my holster and a closed cuff case in the middle of my back. The closed case had a full leather flap that snapped in place.

All issued equipment, no personal items were allowed.

I have heard of some agencies not allowing anything but issued equipment. Thanks for your info on wearing placement.

I have to use nylon duty gear but the cuff case in front holds two sets of cuffs. It closes with a flap that has both velcro and a single snap.

It resembles this one:

41wiHt7eVBL._AC_UL320_SR302,320_.jpg

Thanks for the photo, it gives me some insight.

Rick: Feel free to make what use you can from my handcuff pouch. Pretty easy to make. Recommend 7/8 oz. leather for durability.