earlthegoat2

Question On A China 441 Generic

There is a leather machine for sale locally here. I have not gone to take a look at it but have a picture. It looks like a Cowboy 3500 but with no markings. If I remember right, some of these had a GA-? designation perhaps?

Anyway, what are the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing a machine like this? It appears to be set up for leather as the ad states that is what it was used for.

Parts availability should be good with all the other China clones out there. Would it accept the Cowboy feet?

The price is 1500 as it sits. This is not my first choice in a heavy duty machine but if the price is right I may grab it.

post-11083-0-59656600-1434800941_thumb.j

Edited by earlthegoat2

I agree that is looks like a CB3500. I don't know whose machine it is or how high it lifts and sews. If it will sew 3/4 inch, it is similar to a 3500. But, if it only sews 1/2 inch, it is closer to a 3200. It should take the same feet as a Cowboy. You can buy separate left and right toe feet, accessory throat plates, edge guides, needles, bobbins, oil and thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

Edited by Wizcrafts

well - for just a bit more you can buy a brand new machine from Toledo with warranty and so forth. In this case I´d rather buy a new one instead a used one of unknown origin for about the same price.

Ad says it will sew up to an inch and provided a picture of the foot over 5 layers of 7-8oz veg tanned and a penny on end next to that. So it apparently can sew close to the diameter of a penny. Probably has a 7/8 inch lift in actuality though so it is probably closer to a 3500 than a 3200

I agree with Constabulary. That price is close to a new one and then you get the support which is highly important. I have dealt with Bob from Toledo sewing on a few occasions, including buying a CB4500, and he was more than helpful and you cant go wrong with him. Also, I believe he sells used machines. You can give him a call and see what he can do for you.

It looks like what is commonly called a GA5 dash something and a R for reverse. I used to think these were made by one factory, but I have seen them under so many brands, model numbers, and color schemes that I am not too sure anymore. The price being asked for the used machine (even with the home grown stand) is what a new one would cost. So why buy the old one?

Art

I kind of thought it was a bit high for a unmarked machine.

I am in the market for a good machine now and it does not have to be a bottom feeder deal. I just want something I can pick up and not have to pay for shipping.

I will be making a trip north through Toledo the week before Thanksgiving and will stop by Bob's on the way through and maybe pick something up then.

Edited by earlthegoat2

Looks like a GA5 and for that price I would buy one from a known dealer.

With a roller foot and some fiddling around it can sew 3/4" but it is not something any of us here would suggest trying at home...........