Uwe

Odd Notches On Hook Shuttle Basket

I noticed these notches on the bobbin basket on my new-to-me Adler 67. My Consew 225 has similar notches on bobbin basket. I previously assumed these were defects or damages of some sort.

Now I'm wondering if the notches serve a purpose, but I can't think of one.

Does anybody know if these notches are supposed to be there or if I should go shopping for a new bobbin basket?

post-56402-0-35110300-1435942607_thumb.j

Edited by Uwe

I dunno...... They look too even in size,spacing, and depth to be worn areas. Probably milling cuts for some purpose.....

I´d guess for some oiling purposes - I also have notches in my Singer 111 hook. They are normal.

I would have to say that they are for clearing lint and debris out of the shuttle journal so that it doesn't bind up.

They might possible be slots to put a straight bladed screw drive in to reengage the safety clutch. The 467 and 767 hook has a slot in it for that purpose.

I finally found a reference to these bobbin case notches in a Singer 9W manual. Apparently they are used as a reference to line up the bobbin case in a certain position for removal.

Here's a screen capture of the relevant portion:

post-56402-0-60559100-1436290316_thumb.p

I tried it out and the bobbin case indeed popped out easily when aligned as shown in the picture. (The bobbin case needs a thorough cleaning!)

I'm guessing the other two notches serve some other purpose for a different task.

Thanks for everyone's input on this!

post-56402-0-18664900-1436293799_thumb.j