DavidsonLeather

Lining Sheaths To Prevent Damascus Blade Rusting?

I've recently been tinkering making sheaths for one of my Damascus hunting knives, something I've noticed with a few is that if the blade stays in the sheath, dry, for a time (about 4 weeks) the blade starts to rust pit. Is there a way to prevent this, lining maybe, or sealing the leather with something? I don't want to start lining with kydex, seems a metaphorical slap in the face to the leather.

Any help greatly received.

I've been using veg tanned leather, dyed inside and out with oil dye, then sealed on the outside with mink oil.

Attached are pictures of said sheath and blade. The pitting seems to have stopped since I've heavily oiled the blade several times and put it in and out the sheath a few times.

post-55045-0-25729900-1437138218_thumb.j

post-55045-0-85524500-1437138220_thumb.j

post-55045-0-07347800-1437138224_thumb.j

Eventually it will start to rust in a leather sheath no matter what you do. You can slow it down by using finishes and oiling the blade frequently. I lined one sheath with Kydex because the knife was like a razor blade and would slice leather if put in at just slightly the wrong angle.

What I would do - heat a pot of wax deep enough to dip the holster in and leave it till the bubbles slow down. It will make the sheath stuff and help with the moisture content in the leather. The blade would still get some rust eventually.

Cheapest and easiest option - don't store the knife in the sheath. But that doesn't work for everyone either lol.

Other than a plastic insert nothing will help. Leather is acidic from tanning.

Thinking backwards - coat the blade with wax. I just use the furniture wax (like minwax).

I lined the inside of a sword sheath with goat hair.I glued the the goatskin on with rabbit skin glue which is non-corrosive. Oil the blade well and stick it in the scabbard a few times to oil the inside.

I just wax the blades with any good car wax. I do the same on all of my woodworking tools. I live in a humid area in the summer. I myself avoid any wax with silicone since it interferes with wood finish. A can will last years and years unles you really use it on a car.