Billy Hell

A Tragic Leather Story - It Might Make You Cry

For a living I run the world's largest RC forum. Basically it's a forum about radio control airplanes, helis, quadcopters, boats, "drones", etc. We get around 1.9 million people in a month. So I was at our local airfield shooting video for a plane we are reviewing. The local RC club president has known me for a around 13 years and I'd guess he is in his mid 70's.

I haven't seen him since I started tooling leather in July and it came up in our conversation. (The tragic part is coming up now).

We talked leather and he told me how he taught leather to school kids his whole career. Then he told me about the huge amount of stamps and leather tools he has collected over the years. Now my mind started whirling - those must be old tools...I could pick through them and find the best bevelers, seeders, etc. Before I could ask about this huge cache of leather awesomeness his expression changed, and not for the good.

He took a beat and then said, "we had to move earlier this month so I was really looking for someone to take all my leather tools." Finally I said, "where are they now?!" You could tell he didn't want to say it. Only days before he threw them all away. All I could do was shake my head. It still makes me sad to think I only missed it by a few days. I saw his wife today and she said, "Oh I told him not to do it. There was just so much good stuff."

Dang.....

If it's been less than a week or so, call the local municipality where the guy lives. As you might expect, accidental disposal isn't uncommon, and facilities have some provisions for working through potential reclamation, though you may have to pay a small fee for the privilege of garbage diving.

Edit-- and the long holiday weekend could work in your favor for things not being processed & piled on

Edited by Jimdad

That indeed is a "crying" shame. A host of profane syllables come to mind.

I reckon it's why my tools are still in the box at the back of the closet. I'm hoping to find a young up and comer to give them to some day.

Jim

Kinda made me tear up a bit............jes sayin'

HI JIM, I am a new up and comer, I am not so young though.

Jim

Awesome!! I'm just over here hammering out some holsters.