Larry

How Do I Make Belt Length For Cowboy Rig?

I am making a cowboy rig for my grandson. He lives in another state and all I have is his jean size. He wears a size 32 jeans. I would like to make the belt where he could grow into it. What length should I use for the middle hole from the buckle center? I hope that I have given enough information. Thanks everyone. Larry

If you look under the patterns forum you will find a chart made by Jim Simmons I think the title is making belts the easy way.

When I do a gun belt for some one out of the area I have them take an existing belt and place it about where they think they would be wearing the gun belt and buckle it till it is comfortable make note of what hole it is buckled into. Then lay the belt flat measure from the end of the buckle to the hole they buckled into. When you make your belt measure from the buckle to the length that they got measuring from the buckle to the hole that was used. This will be placement for your center hole. If you use 7 holes with 1 inch spacing this would give you three inches of adjustment from the center hole up or down. SO 33" would be adjustable from 30" - 36" as an example.

Thanks, camano ridge, I'll check out the patterns forum. Appreciate the help.

Another tried and true method is to take the belt they now wear, . . . measure from the end of the buckle to the most used hole, . . . add 4 inches.

That measurement is the center for 7 holes like camano ridge said. Some guys only give them 5 holes, . . . I also do 7. If you want to give him a bit of "extra" room to grow into it, . . . make the belt measurement you took from his belt he wears, . . . make it the measurement to the 5th hole from the tip of the belt.

One caution: never, never, never make a belt based upon the size jeans or britches a person wears. More than 9 times out of 10 you will re-make that belt. I had a guy once want a size 36 belt because his jeans were 36. Thankfully, I measured him. Sure enough he wore 36 jeans, . . . but his belt had to be a 40.

Just a little funny story too, . . . don't take too long making those belts either. I made a 53 inch one for a guy once, . . . when he came to get it, . . . he complained about it being too short. Checking his belt, . . . he now wore a 56 inch belt. Only took him 6 weeks to gain 3 inches.

Anyway, . . . just in case he doesn't think so, . . . I think you are one awesome grandfather, . . . thank you for your love for your grandson.

May God bless,

Dwight

"I am making a cowboy rig ..."

So, you're talking about a STRAIGHT belt, or the buscadero type rig?

Edited by JLSleather