tinkerslane

Edge Finishing - A Contradiction By Fiebings?

I know that I am reigniting a very popular thread on this forum but I’m having real issues with Fiebings Edge Kote.

I’ve made a number of items recently that I’ve used edge kote on and the finished result looks great. My process is to bevel the edges of my work piece, burnish with gum tragacanth and then apply the edge kote. Once dried, it looks great. Drying time is well over 24hrs.

Yesterday I happened to pick up my wallet with damp hand and I noticed that the edge kote simply rubbed off. I got a damp cloth and went to town on the edge and it all pretty much came off!

I contacted Fiebings yesterday and asked them if I was doing anything wrong and they came back and said that gum trag clogs up the pours in the leather as it should and doesn’t leave anything for the edge kote to adhere to. But reading the edge kote bottle, its meant to go on after burnishing and should be waterproof and so I don’t understand, if you’ve burnished properly, there shouldn’t be anything to adhere to as E/kote is a finish??! They also said I was right to apply it after burnishing and that I should try a burnishing agent other than gum trag. So basically they are saying burnish, not with gum tragacanth, but leave enough roughness for the edge kote to adhere to. That doesn’t make sense to me.

So anyway, last night I set up a few experiments. Burnishing with water, burnishing with saddle soap as per Bob's instruction and another with gum trag again. Once dried I applied edge kote and all of them looked great. I came home from work today, lightly buffed each piece and again….great. I then lightly rubbed a damp cloth over each of them and again it all came off. What can I be doing wrong? Surely I don’t then need to seal the edge kote?

I did see Bob’s instruction on edge finishing and it looked very comprehensive so I’ve ordered some of the bits to enable me to try his process but as I’ve got Edge Kote I’d really like to try and work it out.

I’m worried because I’ve sold a few wallets made in this manner and I’m just waiting for the call to say I’ve ruined someone’s clothes.

Could do with some help!!

Thanks

Try beveling and then apply your edge kote, let dry, then burnish. I have never used edge kote, but have seen people burnish after application.

What type of leather are you using?

Throw the edge kote out. Go with Bob's method on thicker veg tanned stuff.

If you're using thinner veg tanned or chrome tanned - try edge paint.

For the record I did throw mine out a couple years ago, maybe someone who's an Edge Kote expert will chime in. Good luck.

Edited by thefanninator

thanks guys, seems I've yet to find anyone that actually likes the stuff!

I'm using it on 3mm veg tan at the moment. I think I might jump ship to edge paint before I waste any more leather and time. Edge paint on order :-)

I agree 100% with what fiebings told you. Filling the pores with gum trag isn't going to give the edge coat any kind of "tooth" to adhere too.

Switch to R.O.C edgekote (R.O.C. kantfarve) ;) never ever had any problems, eighter way burnished (but I've not ever used gum tragakant, so cant tell if it sticks to it too)

ROC is a danish brand, and the edge kote dries in minutes, giving a waterproof edge, shiny and strong.