stickandtin

Machine Choice Heavier Than A Juki 1541S

In the future, I can see the benefit of having a second machine for wife's upholstery business. I have read the Juki 1508 is the next step up from the 1541S. One advantage of the 1508 is the much larger bobbin. She already has noticed the inconvenience of the smaller 1541S bobbin. I have also read the japanese made Consew is an excellent machine. I have seen used 226 and 206RB-5 machines for sale. Which one is heavier duty and which one would be a step up from the 1541S. Thanks for your help.

The Juki LU-1508 NH is the next step up. It is still an upholstery grade machine, but uses system 190 needles and the body has been modified to allow the feet to lift and alternate higher (almost 1/2 inch).

Warning about high lift walking foot machines using system 190 needles

I modified my previous National 300N walking foot machine to this spec. While it did allow me to sew thicker material, it was hell on thin needles sewing thinner leather. I used to break #18 and 19 needles every day I sewed with #69 thread, into 8 ounce hard leather belts. The extra 3/16" length made the thinner needles easier to deflect into the side of the feed dog. The problem resolved itself with #21 and larger needles. Of course, they left a hole that was too big for the thread. I came to the conclusion that this setup is best used with a #23 or #24 needle and #138 or #207 thread.

I later restored the original timing and system 135x(16 or 17) needles and it worked much better with #69 thread

The 1508 bobbin is only 1/8" larger than the 1541,the 226 is smaller & the Consew is the same size.Machines with bobbins that load underneath like the 206 & 1541 will have many parts & be very similar to sew with.The 1508 that loads from the top is easier to jam up if you aren't careful.It is best to stay with a similar machine if you plan on getting another one so your bobbins,threading & operation is pretty much the same.Also id you get spare parts like bobbins,bobbin cases & etc they will interchange.

Thanks for the guidance. If I'm reading this right, the Juki 1508 has a different operating system. For some reason, I thought the bobbin on the 1508 was much larger. Thanks for clearing that up. Would the feet from the 1541 work on the 1508. Would the feet from the 1541 work on the consew 206? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what would be the best route to go for a backup machine. Interchangeable feet would be nice. I've only looked at consew and juki. Are there other machines that would be as good or better? What would you do if you were considering investing in a backup or 2nd machine. Eventually, wife will be reupholstering seats, cushions etc for the vintage travel trailers I restore. Possibly making awnings for the same out of sunbrella and similar material. With that in mind should I be looking for a heavier machine or stick with one similar to the 1541?

Found a place in Dallas(Sewing Machine Warehouse) selling a new Consew 206RB-5 with table, light, bobbin winder, thread stand and semi servo motor set up for $1200.00. Ad says semi servo motor has speed adjustment control. What is a "semi servo motor"? I've only heard of a servo motor. Wonder how they can sell this machine set up for so cheap. Are the Consews made in China now?

Semi Cervo??

Yes, the Consew 206RB-5 is now made in China. However, I've had one for a couple of years and have no real issues with mine.

I would suggest you make sure its been unpacked, assembled, set up and sewn off before you pull the trigger....and see what the local buzz is about dealer support and warranty, especially if you're not a DIY tinkerer type.

I don't think the Consew 206's are really super different than the Juki 1541s though.

-DC

Yes,the 1508,1541,206 & even old Singer 111w,211 feet interchange.

Juki machines are made to work hard and hold up. Once your wife's business gets moving she will appreciate the higher quality machines they build. The Consew 206RB-5 is a Japanese design that is now assembled in China.

FWIIW, I have a modified Singer walking foot machine that is based on the 111 design. It has been modified to use a Juki LU hook and large bobbin system. It takes a myriad of presser feet made for this ubiquitous type of machine. It is the second most used machine in my shop (next to a Cowboy CB4500). It features Poor Man's Reverse and stitch length adjustment via a knob on the handwheel. It is straight out of the 1960s and works like a charm. It is, however, way to easy to jam the top thread in the bobbin case. My next walking foot machine will have a horizontal shuttle, a stitch length knob on the front and a push down reverse lever, like the Consew 206RB-5 has.

Member "StickAndTin" asked about an upholstery grade sewing machine that is heavier duty than a Juki DNU-1541s. Here is one that I have seen and operated it in person and it is awesome:

Adler 867 complete

from one of our advertisers, Weaver Leather. I would love to have one of these machines!

Here is an Adler to die for; a model 869 cylinder arm walking foot machine.

The Juki LU-1508 NH is the next step up. It is still an upholstery grade machine, but uses system 190 needles and the body has been modified to allow the feet to lift and alternate higher (almost 1/2 inch).

LU-1508N, LU-1508NH, & DNU-1541 series all lift 9mm at the hand lever, 16mm at the knee lifter. All the same.

As for a 190 system needle, this a longer needle than the DPX17 (135X17) needle, and would be more prone to deflection going through heavier work.

As for the H model of the LU-1508N...this machine has a heavier 'flywheel' or handwheel. It's about six pounds, the standard is is about one pound. This helps with starting torque starting the run and getting the machine turning over. The H model also has a heavy hook that will allow a larger needle and thread to be used. That's it, part for part, really. I don't really know why people would think this is a much heavier capacity machine than a standard walking foot is capable of. It's not. If you want an example of a machine with greater drive, look at models like Consew 744, Seiko JW class, Adler 220, Singer 144Ws, Juki LG-158 models, stuff like that.

That said, 1541s and 1508 machines can be setup to do some pretty darn heavy, dense work, more than most would think capable of sewing reliably. So I'm not in any way knocking these two Juki machines, in fact I think they are really really good.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Yowza......those new Adler machines are way out of my price range!!! The approx. $2000 I spent on the new 1541 was a bit of a stretch for me at the time. Is there a used machine out there that can sew heavier material than the 1541 but operates the same way and the feet can interchange without spending $5000-$8500? Howdy Cowboy Bob....just realized you are Bob from Toledo Industrial. The 1541S we bought from you has been challenging at times to learn to use, but wife loves it. If we weren't rookies, probably wouldn't have any questions at all about the machine.

What are you sewing that you need a heavier machine than the 1541? Like Greg said they will sew pretty heavy,There isn't much else like this that feet interchange with that will be reasonable other than a used 1541 which are kinda hard to find.The 1541 handwheel is alittle larger than the 206 making it easier to control in thick material too.

Eventually she wants to start making awnings for the vintage trailers I restore. Most popular fabric used for awnings today is "sunbrella". Will the 1541 sew through several layers of sunbrella? If it will, maybe I just need to look for another 1541 as a back up machine.

Eventually she wants to start making awnings for the vintage trailers I restore. Most popular fabric used for awnings today is "sunbrella". Will the 1541 sew through several layers of sunbrella? If it will, maybe I just need to look for another 1541 as a back up machine.

By "backup machine" are you worried that your Juki is going to fail under the load? That would not normally happen unless the machine is not properly maintained and runs out of oil in critical places while she is sewing at a high speed.

Every sewing machine owner has the responsibility of oiling his or her machine. as often as needed (using Lily White or Juki Defrix sewing machine Oil). Further, they must make sure that any frayed thread segments are cleared out of the bobbin case race and from the bobbin tension spring. Ideally there won't be any frayed thread in the bobbin case/basket. But, shit happens and you will eventually need to remove some thread from the bobbin case and the race surrounding it.

Yes,the 1541 will sew awnings w/o any problems.

Wiz and Bob- thanks so much for all the advice. I keep the machine oiled regularly and so far, wife sews slow with it. No high speed stitching yet. Good to know the 1541 will handle awnings. We live way out in the country, about 45 miles from town. There are no upholstery supply places in Lubbock and no industrial sewing machine sales or repair shops. If the Juki needed fixing, closest place would be Bob or a couple of places in Dallas I know nothing about. In addition to having a back up machine, I was thinking it might be advantageous to keep one set up to do a specific job. From all the info and advice given, I will look for a second Juki 1541 as this machine will handle every type of upholstery we plan to do.

try the Durkopp Adler 867 , ECO , XXL bobbin on a servo. Jeff

try the Durkopp Adler 867 , ECO , XXL bobbin on a servo. Jeff

I already posted links to those Adler machines on the first page on this topic.

can any one tell me the maximum thread gaug the Juki 1541 can comfortably handle?

thank you

2 hours ago, Kailupe said:

can any one tell me the maximum thread gaug the Juki 1541 can comfortably handle?

thank you

According to the specs, the DNU-1541 can handle up to #138 thread, top and bottom.

I looked long and careful at the Juki 1541's, the 1508NH, (and related clones like Artisan, Techsew, Thor)

I settled on a Juki LU-2810A and I am VERY happy with my choice. Huge bobbin, high foot lift, adjustable climbing, longer 13" arm, dry head, etc etc. It will sew through anything I can stick under the foot and ask for more. It's primarily a "big" format upholstery machine (auto interiors etc). It's made to sew multiple layers of plastics and leathers and vinyls and thick foam padding.

The "A" version I got has Euro style feet (Adler style) but the "S" version is available "standard" feet (Singer 111W, Juki 1541, Juki 563, etc)

A good Juki dealer should be able to get you one with a servo motor for about $2600 give or take. It's basically Juki's answer to the 867 but with a much less painful sticker price.

Here is a full auto version of the 2810. If I did not already have one I would jump on this machine in a heartbeat. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JUKI-LU-2810-7/253857157926?hash=item3b1b10d326:g:m-cAAOSwerRbkvKV

This vid shows everything the full-auto version is capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhQoB4cksz8

Lol just noticed this is an OLD thread.