panchoskywalker

How To Get This Look From Dying?

Hello, I'm used to dye leather with 1 color and to obtain a main color as on the first picture.

I'd like to know how to get the look of the second picture.

post-59941-0-39907100-1444581484_thumb.j

post-59941-0-58401100-1444581555_thumb.j

You would have to put the creases in the leather then use an antique dye to get the look.

It looks like that leather has a surface texture with lots of cracks/creases, in which case it would have been possible to use a technique from wood finishing where you dye to the darker color, and then sand/abrade/scrub the leather to remove some of the dye and reveal the natural color beneath on the very top surface, but not so deeply as to pull the color out of the creases.

If you're worried about damaging the leather, you might want to try using a very light coat of dye resist brushed on the very top surfaces before dying to the darker color.

About any brand of "antique" dye or finish can do that. More likely that piece was purchased already like that.

That is undoubtedly sanded. You can even make out the sanding lines. Only thing I can add is it looks like a pretty figured piece of leather ... Buffalo ?? There are bumps on it that were part of the cut but doesnt seem to be started out as tooling leather. Scrunching it up while damp might give you more figure but I think that one started out with the bumps.

Hello i have tha same question with you. Btw can you tell me with which product did you paint black your edges and which product did you use for finish? Thank you

I can't tell you about brands as I'm located in Chile and I buy this stuff from an unbranded local factory. Keep looking at the forum and on ebay for dye and finishes. The product I put in the border is called gum tragacanth.

SLC has an edge border coating called Dura Edge.

You can simply use water & a wooden dowel to slick your edges by rubbing. If you do this enough the edges look really nice.