Likla

I Think I'm In Love ......... With Rawhide. :)

My very first attempt to braid in rawhide . And even in homemade rawhide.
I have been wanting to try since I taught myself how to braid in leather for more than 20 years ago.
It is a very fascinating material to work with .

As you can see it was a tiny little deer but it was fine for me to handle the first time I tryed.

Now I'm ready to try with a bigger hide.

post-26764-0-23486100-1444995026_thumb.j

post-26764-0-67375100-1444995037_thumb.j

post-26764-0-01313100-1444995047_thumb.j

post-26764-0-69889200-1444995071_thumb.j

I like it. Looks like you have it mastered.

That looks very nice. Deer hides are a nice size hide to start out with. My first hide over 30 years ago was a deer hide. A whole cow hide is too heavy and big for me to handle alone. I processed a calf hide last spring, but it was really thin. I haven't cut it into strings yet, but it almost looks too light to try to braid with. Almost paper thin. I've never done a LOT of rawhide work; it takes more time than I have to spare at this point, and it's really hard to get paid for the time spent unless you're one of the handful of top artists in the nation. Maybe when I get old and retire!

Very cool to make it from start to finish. I think your finished product looks nice.

I've been deer hunting this season, and thinking if I get one, I may try to "brain tan" the hide. I've never done anything like that but have heard about it, and thought I might try my hand at it. I have a pair of deer skin gloves I use for riding my motorcycle in cold weather that are really nice.

Big Sioux saddlery - my hide is paper thin to, but is is ok to braid with - I think - I don't know - although I have never tried to braid in rawhide before. :)

25b - Yes I did bevel it before I started braiding.

I am very excited to work with rawhide. It is surprisingly different from leather.

I know I have to practice a lot, but I'm looking forward to it.

The only thing I don't like is the strange smell. Maybe I just have to get use to it.

Very nice lots of hard work goes into that im sure. I saved two deer hides years ago to do that but never did.

Wow you took it and ran with it, didn't you? Very nice, especially for using a material unfamiliar to you!