jcuk

Sos Please Help Save My Round Knife.

Hello All,

Please help save my Round knife. On the advice a neighbour I sent my Round Knife to have the brass ferule fixed. Please view the image of the result - they have ruined the knife. It is my favourite tool and have been using it for the last 20 years. Is it worth saving or repairing and if so how and where? Ideally UK based but willing to send further afield if needed.

I believe that the newer versions of the same knife are not so good in quality (Osborne Round knife). Any advise welcome. #heartbroken!

Kindest regards

JCUK

post-29820-0-24368300-1446922709_thumb.j

It does not look fixed at all... Where did you send it to be fixed, the local grade school shop?

Edited by Bonecross

I could be wrong due to the picture but the handle looks a little rotten. Anyhow the handle can simply be replaced. Push out the brass pin and pull off the handle. Now either you make a new one yourself or try to get a replacement handle from Osborne or just replace the brass ferule.

The least you'll need is a new brass ferule and new brass pin.

The CSO knives of the '80s and '90s are every bit as good as the older ones.

I don't see any repair.

I have a CSO in that very condition, it happens to them all the time. If I have a split ferrule on a tool, it always seems to be a CSO, must just be a thing with their ferrule design.

Fix it yourself. Call CSO and ask for a ferrule for your knife. Put it on and wait till it splits again.

Fix it yourself, make your own ferrule. Drive the pin out and take the blade out of the handle. Get a piece of the right size (take the handle to the hardware store) copper tubing (look in the scrap bin, don't buy a 10 foot section) and a cap that fits (maybe you should buy two to be sure), put the cap on the tubing (solder or attach somehow) and cut to the length you need. Sometimes, just the cap will be enough for the ferrule; most of the time that is the case. The ferrule is just there to keep the handle from splitting, so it can be shorter than the factory ferrule. Now squash the completed project in your vise till you get the size you need to fit the handle. Take your Dremel (or whatever) and cut the correct size slot in the top of the cap. Do a little "fitting up" as you go. Fill in the handle (or do like I do and use JB weld to do the fill-in when you put the ferrule on for the LAST time, if you use JB Weld, it WILL be the last time). Put the blade back in and the pin and you are finished (after an hour of so, you can polish the copper). I might open the pin hole up a little and put a special pin in to let everyone know I've been there.

post-18-0-50177300-1446928482_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-88009500-1446928502_thumb.jpg

Art

I have seen many perfectly good old tools with ferrules replaced with thread lashing caked in shellac, wax or pitch. I have done it. It works pretty good. I have also done it with a copper wire wrap, really tight. Drill small holes in the wood at the ends to put the ends of the wire into and then coat the whole works in CA(Super)glue. If you need to remove it, acetone.

I like that idea Tinker. If you use larger wire (12 or 14) it could look rather Steampunk. Larger sizes are a bear to work with, even soft, but a cool effect.

Art

Thank you all for your replies.

Bonecross it does look like it was repaired by a kid and i have since been told the place i took it too, jobs like these they give to the apprentices. So i am not happy to find this out afterwards.

Thor good idea i will try to contact Osborne direct, we have a UK supplier of Osborn tools over here not sure if they will bother to help me but will see. If not, i will contact the Osborne USA direct. By the way the handle is not rotten, it's actually burnt! Where they tried to weld the brass ferrule.

Art, if I can't get any joy from Osborne over here or the USA i will endeavour to try and make a handle myself I have already sourced some brass ferrules on eBay. Thanks for the correct spelling of ferrules! LOL.

TinkerTailor, thanks for your reply but wonder if your suggestion is beyond my capabilities of working with metal working tools and wood working tools.

I have contacted a company here in the UK, that make knives and i have asked if they can make a replica or something similar out Damascus steel. As a little treat to myself and the pic attached is their work. This knife is 6 inches point to point and is too big for me.

Kindest regards and thanks again

JCUK

post-29820-0-83575600-1447016651_thumb.j

Someone tried to weld the ferrule? Good grief!!

JCUK, the idea of wrapping the handle is probably your simplest option. You can even use your sewing thread if you want to. Fishing rods use thread wrapping to hold on the guides and as decorative wraps, so you could get some nice coloured thread from a fishing tackle supply place. The thread is usually sealed afterward, often with a clear two-part epoxy or acrylic resin. Knife and sword handles are sometimes wrapped with wire wrap - one method is to tightly twist two thin strands together and use the resultant twisted wire as the wrap, but because your wrap area is pretty small I'd go with thread myself.

Lots of options, and it needn't be expensive. Nor need it be difficult.

jcuk said 'weld' but I think the burn is from trying to flame braze the ferrule.

I like Art's way of fixing. The knife is not cheap so it deserves a good refurb.

If the metal work is beyond you look for a model railway group in your area. Usually someone in such a group is very good at metal work and might be very willing to help.

When I needed a brass part for my vintage [antique] car a model railway chap turn not only the one part on his lathes but did me two spares f.o.c. - because he could help he said.

Have a look at this website & forum http://www.britishblades.com

You'll get an idea of the standard of work that can be done

There are lots of knife makers there who would probably love to help you, with both repairing your existing knife, and making a new one

Just put an apeal or request on the forum, under 'Custom and Handmade'

Couple of minutes later - I can't get the link to work, so put 'britishblades.com' into Google directly

Edited by zuludog

Thank you all again i have had result!! I rang H Webber and sons LTD / Hand tools UK.com, i asked them if they can send me a replacement handle and brass ferrule. They explained they can't do that but asked what the problem was, after my explanation they offered to send me a new replacement knife on if i sent them my damaged one. apparently when i bought the tool from them 20 odd years ago it was guaranteed for life! Which i didn't know.

I would just like to say a big thumbs up to Osborne tools LTD and their customer service and of course H Webber and Sons for taking a knife back even though someone had already tried to repair it.

although i am aware that some say the latest Osborne tools are not as good as older tools - but will have to wait and see on that one. Still a fantastic gesture.

Thanks again for all your help and responses will keep you posted.

Kindest regards

JCUK

p.s. If its not up to standard I guess I can write to Santa for a Knippshield Texas Rosebud or even better hope my wife reads this !!!