JamesR

How Is A Side Of Leather Measured?

When a side of leather is sold as, let's say 8/9 oz. thickness, is this the minimum thickness or maximum thickness you will receive.

I recently bought 8/9 oz side of latigo and along the back some of it was almost 11 oz. but the belly portion was more like 8 oz.

Is this normal?

I believe this is normal. In the UK leather is measured by thickness in millimeters. My supplier told me they take some random measurements and take the average above the minimum thickness which is the base size.

ie if its supposed to be 2mm thick, that is the base line, random checks should give a thickness of 2mm or slightly above. If a measure is under 2mm, then the skin is re-classed at that lower base.

Thus when I get a hide or part of and I want it 2mm thick I'll be told its 2mm to 2.3mm, or 2 to 2.5 etcetera.

When I order a Herman Oak side at 8/9 the minimum thickness is 8oz and the Max is 9oz. There is nothing thicker or thinner than that.

I have seen Tandy state that their light Saddle Skirt varies from 11 to 8 as they are not split to uniform thickness

Tanneries in the U.S. state that thickness is measured in teh butt area. But like Mike says, there shouldn't be much variation. HO and W/C are both quite good at it. In fact, on a recent order, I TRIED to find a spot that wasn't the 7 oz I specified.. and there isn't one.

After it is leveled or run through a big band splitter the leather will be fairly uniform. This is what you get from W&C or HO. As the hides come off of the drying racks, they are all over the place, often very thick around the neck. Cheap veg tan is cheap for a reason.

Art