tboyce

Ruined Jar Of Contact Cement.

I left an almost brand new 30 dollar jar of contact cement in the garage and the weather got cold so now it's basically a 30 dollar elephant booger. Would a warm water bath reconstitute it?

Brand?

Art

You likely lost quite a bit of solvent...so maybe adding a little compatible solvent would....umm...."de-booger" it.

You likely lost quite a bit of solvent...so maybe adding a little compatible solvent would....umm...."de-booger" it.

Agreed, this is what my leather guy told me to do when I bought 1 litre tin of barge.

Looked at the MSDS for the AP Barge cement and the main solvent is Tolulene 30-65%. The MSDS for the general purpose thinner is MEK 90-96%. Saves hunting for hen's teeth.

If it went complete booger it might be shot but ... I have had success stirring in some mineral spirits and then leaving it over night. Seemed good as new the next day. I went out the other day to use my Neatsfoot oil and out globbed what looked like lard. Its Arizona Damnit! But we got a cold snap.

So my glue, neatsfoot and Gum Tragacanth have been moved inside.

Alex

People reactivate their cement by adding the matching thinner. I don't think any of the binding agents evaporate, just the solvents. Barge has an All-Purpose Thinner to match their All-purpose cement, and so forth. The thinner costs half of what the cement does.

so were you able to reclaim it or did it go to the garbage. If you reclaimed it ... what did ya do?

Alex