maersdet

Consew 100 - Unable To Find Walking Feet Or Manual

Hello,

I picked up a Consew 100 this weekend for some light leatherwork. I've been searching everywhere for a manual, but nothing turns up. The model isn't even listed on Consew's website.

Would anyone happen to know what model of walking foot I can use with this machine? It's a high shank foot.

Thanks,
Tyler

post-32342-0-91296400-1448770723_thumb.j

post-32342-0-77406900-1448770729_thumb.j

Edited by maersdet

Try looking for some pics and info on similar Sieko machines, as it is likely a rebranded machine. It looks like it could be a Sieko.

It seems very similar in outwards profile to the Consew 101 and a couple of others, and it looks like an offshoot (or a loose copy) of the Singer 241 stuff....I will *guess* its not a needle feed, just bottom feed only. A "walking foot", as far as I know, will probably have to be an "even feed" type of semi-functional foot made for a high-shank domestic type machine...I'd start looking for one made for an old straight-stitch-only Kenmore (not a zig zag model, so the "foot" portion will be mostly over your narrow feed dogs). If by some chance there is an equivalent made for industrial machines, I'm sure someone here will have heard of it. You may want to try a standard teflon high shank foot, or a roller style foot to see if it is a better solution. The good news is, I think those types of machines have LOADS of standard parts that interchange, in terms of the feet/needle plates/feed dogs and it should all be pretty inexpensive since they are so common. Keep in mind its always going to be a garment machine designed for light materials.

-DC

Great! Thanks guys.

*The Singer 241 manual matches up with the Consew 100 perfectly.

Edited by maersdet

From my experience, those so-called walking foot attachments cause you to lose about 1/8" under the feet. If the machine only has 5/16" lift (pretty standard for old straight stitch machines) you would end up with only 3/16" with that attachment. Since the feet must alternate to move the material, you have to take away another 16th or so. This leaves you with no more than 8 ounces (1/8") of sewable clearance.

A better option is to find a complete roller foot conversion kit and install all three parts: the roller foot, the slim feed dog and matching throat plate. You will keep the machine's full sewing clearance under the foot and see exactly where the needle is hitting.

From my experience, those so-called walking foot attachments cause you to lose about 1/8" under the feet. If the machine only has 5/16" lift (pretty standard for old straight stitch machines) you would end up with only 3/16" with that attachment. Since the feet must alternate to move the material, you have to take away another 16th or so. This leaves you with no more than 8 ounces (1/8") of sewable clearance.

A better option is to find a complete roller foot conversion kit and install all three parts: the roller foot, the slim feed dog and matching throat plate. You will keep the machine's full sewing clearance under the foot and see exactly where the needle is hitting.

Not to mention they suck!

Not to mention they suck!

I bought one for my former Singer 15-91 and it enabled the machine to sew a Naugahyde bag that I couldn't keep aligned or feed without dragging with the regular flat foot.

Parts Manual 101, first item, first column.

(Made in Japan) Look at the bottom of the machine... my 70's Consew has "Seiko" cast in the body your's probably will too. you can look for comparable Seiko of that vintage. I have the original user manual for my Consew 28 (Singer 78-3 clone)... it's pretty sparse.

Same website... download the 103 or 105 user manual

Edited by Ole South

Seiko (Consew) did not "clone" anything from Singer

CONSEW is just a brand that Seiko used to break into the US market.

Many Seiko machines started out when Singer contracted them to build industrial machines as they shut down the various US and UK factories. Naturally the Japanese looked at the Singer machines, shat themselves laughing, and improved them.

First on the agenda was reverse and then they dumped the stupid "alternating pressers" in favour of proper walking feet.

Forgive the terminology but compare the parts breakdown, the drive mechanism and the lack of reverse (needle feed only), the stitch length regulator between a Consew 28 and a Singer 78-3 and perhaps you'll see why I mistakenly referred to it as a clone.

Seiko were initially contracted to build the machines as per the Singer drawings.

Later they modified the machines but in some cases kept building the Singer version as that appeared to be what the market wanted.

If you look at the parts lists you will see that Seiko/Consew use Singer part numbers.

Forgive the terminology but compare the parts breakdown, the drive mechanism and the lack of reverse (needle feed only), the stitch length regulator between a Consew 28 and a Singer 78-3 and perhaps you'll see why I mistakenly referred to it as a clone.

Is it possible to change out the throat plate to accommodate a larger needle?

Is it possible to change out the throat plate to accommodate a larger needle?

You are asking for old parts that appear to be made of unobtanium. A drill bit should take care of that problem. Be sure you use Emory cloth afterward to remove burrs. You may have to move the shuttle to allow a much larger needle to clear it on the downstroke.