dikman

I Bought Another Singer....

Actually, Darren, my experience has been that shipping within Australia is often on par with overseas rates, but yes, I should keep your store in mind too, thanks for reminding me.

eVilBay prices include their fees plus Paypal fees and I always do a bit better for people who contact me direct.

Postage cost is fixed but ABLE Sewing is always happy to do a deal.

Actually, Darren, my experience has been that shipping within Australia is often on par with overseas rates, but yes, I should keep your store in mind too, thanks for reminding me.

I've been fiddling with this, on and off, trying to get the feet adjusted properly. Based on the recent discussion about SV models in Constabulary's thread, I decided to assume it is a 111W152 and adjust it accordingly. I found that the needle bar was set too low and the gap between the presser foot shaft and the vibrating foot shaft was way too narrow. With that adjusted I set the feet so that it worked on 1/4" leather - the presser lifts well clear and the vibrating foot just clears the material when returning. The instructions are actually a little vague in this area and just say that both feet should lift enough to clear the work. This gave me a lift of 3/8", using the lift lever, and 1/2" using the knee lift. By re-adjusting the feet I can actually get 1/2" of leather under the feet and feeding, but I think that may be a bit much when under power.

The manual states that the 152 and 153 are identical except that the 153 will handle heavier material! So how can they be identical? It means I'm not sure which model I have. I've downloaded a parts list for both models and it looks like I'll have to compare parts and see if there is any difference.

It took me quite a while to work out the relationship between the two feet and what happens when you adjust things.......not as simple as it looks.

Thanks christen, but I already have that one. Searching the Smithsonian for my model drew a blank.

I've compared part numbers, and there are some differences between the two models, so how Singer could say they're the same is another mystery. The 153 (the slightly heavier duty one) has split bushings on the feed drive rock shaft, which the 152 doesn't appear to have. Mine has one piece bushings, same part number, so is different again. All the part numbers of the 152/153 start with 2. Most of mine appear to do the same, although the part numbers don't always line up with the two parts lists. The hook, on the other hand, has "serial no. 108007 and 108008 stamped on the parts!!! (Simanco parts).

The needle plate, presser foot and vibrating foot all have different part numbers to the two lists, but a search show that they're still available. I'll just have to keep searching to find out what needle size they're matched to.

I don't mind a bit of a puzzle, but it's always nice when you know there's a solution. In this case I'll have to accept that what I know now is probably all I'll ever know about this machine, and have to assume that it's basically a 111W153.