OLDNSLOW

This Old Skiver

is for sale and was hoping someone could chime it to tell if it is able to be restored to it's former self for skiving straps for belts. The current own knows nothing about it, but measured it for me and said that it measures out to 1.75 so it would work for a 1.5 inch belt. But can a blade be found for it as you can see from the pics it hasn't got one with it. Please some one let me know what y'all think it is not overly priced but not sure if the price is worth it. Now to hopefully post photos.

Thanks Y'all.

O n S

post-62918-0-84238300-1450639572_thumb.j

post-62918-0-62861000-1450639574_thumb.j

post-62918-0-95933700-1450645070_thumb.j

Edited by OLDNSLOW

want to try and get another photo up

post-62918-0-23012900-1450645192_thumb.j

post-62918-0-80080300-1450645193_thumb.j

post-62918-0-03805100-1450645196_thumb.j

post-62918-0-30974800-1450645198_thumb.j

Edited by OLDNSLOW

I rebuilt one of these. This one is missing some parts which are available and are relatively expensive.

Looks to be a great paper weight. Still, just about anything can be "Fixed" if you wish to spend the money.

ferg

well can you tell me more, about how much and what is missing and is it in it's current condition what it might be worth if anything.

Thanks

if it was a 5 and 1 it woould work great as a boat ancher but since its a skiver you just need a blade and a couple screws maybe / theres not much to them free might be to much to spend

If it was a 5 in 1, more than a few shoe or boot makers would pay good money for it.

Personally, I wouldn't pay a lot for it, you might be able to find a good one for what it would cost to fix it. For what you need to do, a skiving knife, a piece of glass (tempered and edged, or a rear window of an old chevy pick-up), and an afternoon of practice will accomplish the same thing.

Art

I only see a missing blade and blade screws also. The thing I see against this is the top wheel is the feed wheel and will mark your leather. Later versions of the Americans had the feedwheel on the bottom and the top wheel was a lot smoother. Those are much more desirable. You can get blades easy enough - Pilgrim Shoe, Campbell-Randall, and maybe still Weavers.

Thank You Bruce, that is the kind of answer I was looking for, do you think by removing some of the groves or all it would still function like it is suppose to? Or are there any newer parts that might be interchangeable and not cost a fortune to get? I did see a posting that you had done a few years back and was not sure if you were still here active I have not had a chance to search that. I try and sneak out to the garage and do some leather or Kydex work when I am not on the computer. Thanks again for the input and would you say that $75.00 is to much for that tool.

Thanks

O n S

Ron

its the skive leather bends is in 1/2 soles and such not any other geeeeeeeeeeee you might of been able to skive russet 8 oz. maybe never intended to skive light wweight leather

I have/had a few similar machines. In Germany they are called Rodi and were made by Rafflenbeul. I don't know how much they are in the US but I think $75,00 is quite a lot. I think Mr. Bruce Johnson is absolutely right, this machine will always mark your leather. I wouldn't try to grind the groves away, some of them don't transport too good with grooves, without I think it doesn't work at all. These machines work well only with thick leather, even with a sharp knife. I would have a look first if you can get a blade with the right measurements and how much it is, if you really want to buy it, some of the parts are quite expensive or don't fit to the old machines.

You can fill in the grooves with JB Weld and avoid grinding. Adding metal~ is sometimes ok, removing it can cause a host of other problems.

Art

is the asking price of the 75.00 still to high for this item considering all that might need to be done?

tia

O n S

if it were close by and available, $75 is fair. even if the parts aren't available right away - or they have to be fabricated, it's still a useable piece of machinery. better to use it than have it at the bottom of a lake.

I would not give more than $75 for sure and likely $25 would be ball park.