SouthernCross

My Project Is Stiff After Dyeing

I've been playing around with making some minimalist wallets and I've been trying to dye them with Fiebings cut with denatured alchohol. Of course, when I come back the next day the pieces are stiff as heck and I can't really bend them into shape without cracking the leather.

Should I case the leather and bend it into the shape I want first, then dye it?

That'll usually work, . . . or, . . . depending on how you plan on finishing the wallet, . . . if you plan on adding any oil, . . . this is a good itme & place to do it, . . . let it set for a day, . . . work it slowly, . . .

I've also done it with other final finishes, . . . used them to dampen the leather, . . . bend it, . . . the do a nice final on the areas I handled in the bending routine.

May God bless,

Dwight

There are many more experienced members that may have a better solution but I would rub in a light amount of neats foot oil. It will soften it back up.

I have found, that instead of cutting the Fiebings with DA, if I completely wet the leather and give it a few minutes for the water to migrate thru all the fibers then dip dye in non cut dye, the color stays lighter and colors perfectly even while the leather stays soft. I only dip for a few seconds and then pat the leather with a paper towel to get any excess off. At the end of the leather drying I will rub the item with a soft cloth and I get no to almost no rub off.

You might try carauba cream after it dries. Works good for me.

The dye's drying the leather. Neatsfoot'll put the moisture back. Just rub some on and let it sit for a while.