Ken Nelson

Help On Ferdinand 900B Parts And Attachments

I got this Ferdinand 900B home to find I need some parts for it. I have called Bob Kovar and Leather Machine Co and both told me to call Hoffman Bros in Chicago and I tried to but got the automated switchboard and finally told no one was available to take my call. Leave a message.

I need for sure a harness makers foot for this machine. I need the thread guide (rod) next to jump foot on the left side of the machine. I need the thread guide on bottom of needle bar.

Does anyone know of any bone yards for these machines? I bought this machine for a young friend as a starter machine. It sews good and shows almost no wear but has been handled pretty rough. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am doing this as a favor to a deserving young fella and am not making any money on it. Thank you. Ken

I spoke with Tony Luberto from Windham Cub late last year. He is back in Connecticut and used to sell the Bull. I have one myself and love it. He might be helpful. I am in Connecticut and he told me he could get some parts for me. You can get in touch thru his web site. I think the machine has interchangeable parts with Consew.

Would you have a working number for Tony? I used a Classic he built for years. I wish I still had it. It was a wonderful machine. Thanks Ken

I double checked my note about the 900b, I was built from the consew 754. That should be helpful in finding parts. Tony is back in Moosup CT. The classic is another nice machine. His # is 860-564-8252. Hope this helps.

UPDATE: I got hold of Tony, he has very few parts for these machines left. Hoffman Bros I have not been able to talk to a live person. Ferdinand sold a lot of these machines, and I find it hard to believe someone is not handling spare parts for them. I need a harness makers foot for it most of anything. Thanks for the info. Ken

Ken;

Can you post a close up photo of your presser bar, showing how the presser foot mounts to it? Hold a small ruler or tape measure along side it. It might help us determine if a harness foot for the cowboy and cobra machines will fit it.

Good idea on the pics but my computer is not doing pictures right now. DRAT!! This foot on this machine can be made over into a harness makers foot but I want to keep it and get the regular one or another blanket foot ( which I think this one is). It is the square shank like the 441 clones but just a tiny bet smaller Scant 5/16 Vs 5/16 on the 441. Overall length is 1 11/16 where the 441 foot is 1 13/16" I have found out for sure the machine was built up from a 754 Consew , which it seems is a current model but none of the dealers I have contacted have not even talked to me about attachments or parts. Thanks for the ideas and help guys. It is appreciated.

Edited by Ken Nelson

The length can be adjusted by lowering or raising the presser bar. The width being off means you need to either file down a replacement foot that is too narrow, or add a shim if it is too wide.

Pictures help because 80-90% of the time a new machine uses parts from something else.

To make life difficult the manufacturers often give the same thing a different part number - and often charge more for the "new" part.

Darren,the problem with this model is Ferdco made some special parts for it & it's a needlefeed w/a jumpfoot that takes a special foot that only a Ferdco like this model takes.The more common parts aren't a problem I've ordered parts from Consew for people in the past, the machine it was modified from is the model 754R.

Thanks Bob. We see very few Ferdco machines here and the odd one I come across is usually just a rebadged GA5.

People find there way to me after they get quoted absolutely stunning prices for "genuine" spares from local dealers - $US15 per bobbin was one example.

Always glad to learn something new.

Ferdco used a narrow foot on this machine, The one I have is a wide foot, smooth on the bottom, which I am guessing was for sewing cloth type materials. I can modify this foot but the guy I bought this machine does sew quite a bit of webbing and canvas as well as leather. I would like to find another foot and I will modify the foot on it to better sew leather with. I still haven't found the thread post (guide) on the left side of the machine next to the jump foot. It isn't a 1/4 inch or a # 6 metric. Actually, I got the beast sewing good. Thanks for all the help. I wish I could post pictures, I know it would help. Ken

I have attached two photos of the presser feet that came with my Bull. I think the foot you are looking for is the one pictured on the machine. This is the one I like using the most. I had not seen this foot until I bought my own Bull. I also have a 900B I use at my work with the skinny foot. I also have 1 more foot I bought from Ferdco. a long time ago. It is a buckle foot, used to get close to hardware like buckles and rings. It was a waist of money.

post-52605-0-15973100-1453511867_thumb.j

post-52605-0-30451300-1453511909_thumb.j

Foot I have been on the hunt for is the one on the right, second picture. Do you have a picture of the left side of the machine, looking down from the top by chance.

Thank you, sir. Ken

Ken I went on Consew.com and located a parts book. Looks like the foot is part # 28472. Here are more pictures of the Bull including the boat anchor of a foot I purchased. Let me know if you need other pictures posted.

post-52605-0-25698000-1453590254_thumb.j

post-52605-0-85551300-1453590276_thumb.j

post-52605-0-85286500-1453590304_thumb.j

post-52605-0-92708700-1453590325_thumb.j

post-52605-0-61622500-1453590345_thumb.j

Now all I have to do is find a middle thread guide for this machine( one by second thread tension and thread guide pin on jump foot body) and this machine will be ready to be put into service. Ken

I believe Ron Jeanblanc is in Boise now. Maybe he can help you with guide to the machinist that built or modified their parts...

On 1/22/2016 at 7:28 PM, Old Coach Saddlery said:

I have attached two photos of the presser feet that came with my Bull. I think the foot you are looking for is the one pictured on the machine. This is the one I like using the most. I had not seen this foot until I bought my own Bull. I also have a 900B I use at my work with the skinny foot. I also have 1 more foot I bought from Ferdco. a long time ago. It is a buckle foot, used to get close to hardware like buckles and rings. It was a waist of money.

post-52605-0-15973100-1453511867_thumb.j

post-52605-0-30451300-1453511909_thumb.j

The foot far right is what is on my machine