Like most I use a lot of contact cement and it works great where I want a super bond. However there are times that I need a decent one sided glue to just hold a piece in place for stitching and I dont need that strength. Any recommendations.

here is an example .. I am gluing down a simple 3/16 inch frame of 4/5 ounce leather around a piece of lizard inlay. The lizard was glued to the backing piece using contact cement. The frame however doesnt need the strength and I just need a good glue to hold it in place until it is stitched. Its not a structural piece.

I have been using contact cement and a tiny brush but what a pain to line up!! I just want to put a little glue on the back of my frame and stick it down.

Edited by Boriqua

Ordinary white PVA glue. It remains flexible. If you use yellow glue, it doesn't stay flexible, and every time you flex the item, you will hear it crack. Still holds, but the cracking is annoying and may bother your clients.

Tom

Little dots of CA (super) glue may work. I would use the gel type, the thin stuff can soak through, and disappears before you even get the parts together. Works way better on smooth surfaces. Would not use it for flesh to flesh.

I've had decent success with Eco Flow Leather Weld. You can put it on one side only but you need to keep it under pressure until it dries if you want it to last. If temporary until stitching, have you tried the double-sided tape? It is what I use on most everything lately. Not good if you want edges to stay stuck, or should I say not as good as adhesive. But for tacking pieces in place, perfect. No drying time. No mess either.

Edited by Tugadude

Not to make you go out and get another glue, but, Renia Aquilim GL. Thin it down a lot, apply to one side and put together wet. You can get it apart if you miss. All this stuff is pretty new and I have been experimenting with it. I've been switching over to water base (except for wet leather apps) and I am getting used to the "no smell" or "no toluene high" factor. Lisa Sorrell sells it in smaller quantities to play with, and then the bigger sizes when you become a convert like me. Use Vaseline on the jar lids or start going to the gym.

Art