l2bravo

3M 77?

How strong/long lasting is 3M 77? Is it a suitable glue, to use for gluing something like synthetic wool inside of a gun case? It's just a big surface, and doesn't seem like Barge would be right, seeing as the surface area is so big. Thanks for the help guys, Josh

I use it all the time. Car stereo guys use it to stretch the fabric or vinyl over speaker boxes. It works great. I have a daily carry latigo bag lined with wool this way and it is staying put. I cycle with the bag in the rain.....

Careful putting it over finishes, or near other kinds of contact cement. I used it to line some leather wallets with silk, and i pre-sealed the backside of the leather with resolene first to prevent the leather from bleeding dye into the silk. It worked at first, but 4 days later i discovered the glue had failed and turned to a slimey gooey mess. Some research told me the resolene was at fault. Experiments with using brush on cement on one side and super 77 on the other resulted in the same thing, initially it stuck hard, but after a couple days it let go. Aparrently just the fumes from another type of contact cement drying near it can do this. Like if you were to use spray for the wide open areas and then brush for the edges..

Now I just put a double coat light-medium on both sides of the join. Let one dry almost to no tack, respray lightly, wait till max tack, and stick them together. Get it right the first time, there is no second try. It seems to work fine to block dye transfer alone if i do it this way and never lets go.

Take a trick from painters and use masking tape to mask your glue areas.

Edited by TinkerTailor

I also use it all the time, Especially to glue lining in things like purses. Ive found that it works even better, if i run an iron over the piece after Ive glued it together. Really gets the two pieces stuck together well.

OK, so I have a question. What about if I was going to 3M the lining in the gun case, but then barge the edge, where I close the case up, to sew??? IS 3M strong enough to hold that too, til I get it sewn? Seam tape?

Edited by l2bravo

The actual project that got me into leather working was making a nice leather carry case for my M4. I learned a lot working on that bag. I used sheep wool to line the case. I actually used Weldwood contact cement to, and left the outer 1.5" without glue so I could sandwhich the zipper in there. I really prefer the contact cement when gluing leather to leather, but 3m77 is great for gluing leather to cloth or gluing vegtan leather to something soft like suede, lambskin, or goatskin.

20130917_171508_zps3d07291b.jpg

20130917_172807_zps2bbafa71-1.jpg

20130917_172815_zps3a215a72-1.jpg

20130917_133345_zps66044ec1.jpg

20130917_134959_zps201d768e.jpg

20130917_161153_zps62f083d9.jpg

After hand sewing that, I realized I needed a sewing machine. Ughhh, that was miserable.

Edited by Colt W Knight

3M 90 is a lot stronger and more permanent than 77 is. You may get away with 77, but if you are relying on it to last, use 90.

Edited by electrathon

3m 77 = epic fail. It stuck great at first, now a few days later if you bend the leather just a little it comes apart.

post-43570-0-26889800-1457582061_thumb.j

The piece outlined in yellow was done with Barge at the same bench with the freshly glued straps and bag panel. Vapor did it in?!! The piece the cans are sitting on is almost a 3rd of a side and it is doing the same thing :bawling: :bawling: :bawling::censored2::ranting2::censored2::ranting2:

post-43570-0-26035600-1457580742_thumb.j

Edited by Roq

On 2/16/2016 at 12:31 AM, l2bravo said:

How strong/long lasting is 3M 77? Is it a suitable glue, to use for gluing something like synthetic wool inside of a gun case?. It's just a big surface, and doesn't seem like Barge would be right, seeing as the surface area is so big. Thanks for the help guys, Josh

The 3M™ Super 77™ may come with a slightly higher price tag than your typical glue stick, but the speed, versatility, and convenience it offers make it a worthwhile investment.

When compared to other spray adhesives on the market, you’re certainly getting your money’s worth. I've written an article about 3m 76 vs 77, feel free to go through it.

Edited by RonaldStevens