lazyd

Need Help Identifying These Tools

I have these tools I bought at an auction a while back. I need help identifying what their use is. I do mainly saddle and harness work, so if they are for shoe/boot work, they are for sale or trade. I haven't found a use for them yet but Maybe if I knew what they were for, who knows ??? That awl haft is solid iron. Why would you need a haft made of iron ?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

post-13698-0-35194300-1455574661_thumb.j

post-13698-0-31753300-1455574691_thumb.j

post-13698-0-16596900-1455574726_thumb.j

post-13698-0-30257000-1455574757_thumb.j

A pricking iron for pricking welts

A float (though it won't)

A Fudge Wheel for marking stitch lines on welts

A Crease or bead raiser

The rest are pretty much sole irons.

Art

So, sounds like they are for shoe/boot work ??

Yep, pretty much.

Art

So, sounds like they are for shoe/boot work ??

And heavy duty sandals.......

I have looked at sole irons a few times wondering how they would work as an edge creaser, btw

And heavy duty sandals.......

I have looked at sole irons a few times wondering how they would work as an edge creaser, btw

Exactly! If I knew how to use them, maybe they would be useful for general leather work. Is there a tutorial or something on this web site that would show me how they are used ? Or would someone like to drive to So. Dak. and show me ? Art called that one tool a float. What the heck does it do ?----------Thanks

There are a few videos of hand made shoes on youtube that have brief glimpses of their use.

Leatherworker.net has very little shoe info and not very many experts.

This site, however, has lots of of shoe and boot info:

http://www.thehcc.org/

Look for the guild library on the lower left. Many of the other 'reprint' titles are already on the internet as pdfs, you just need to search for the title.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Exactly! If I knew how to use them, maybe they would be useful for general leather work. Is there a tutorial or something on this web site that would show me how they are used ? Or would someone like to drive to So. Dak. and show me ? Art called that one tool a float. What the heck does it do ?----------Thanks

Demanding info will not get you a lot of sympathy here. The only reason to go to South Dakota is Sturgis, and that's not until August. Given what I provided, a little internet searching including shoe or shoemaker and the tool type will get you a bunch of info. If you have more questions after that, there are a few of us on here who can help.

Art

Actually, the only reason to be in SD is the walleye fishing.

That too, the Walleye is the state bird isn't it? The Missouri River and those big impoundments (lakes) can yield some really big fish. West of the Mississippi is wonderful, as long as you stop at the Sierra Nevada.

Art

Oh come on guys, we have more than Sturgis and Fishing. There are Pheasants,corn on the cob, really good Beef, Forestburg watermelons, and don't forget Mt Rushmore !! Anyway, thanks for the info, I didn't mean to sound demanding, Sorry if I did. Anybody need some boot repair tools ?

Anybody need some boot repair tools ?

All of them that are pictured? How much do you want?

All of them that are pictured? How much do you want?

Make me an offer, or trade me something that I can use for Saddle and Harness work.