horselady21

1St Time Eco-Flo Waterstain User: Swirl Problem

I looked for similiar problems in other threads but didn't see anything. I used the Waterstain for the first time yesterday, on dry leather (which is different for me. I always felt that I got a better coverage and depth with wet leather). Anyhow, I shook the bottle, applied it with a wool dauber in a circular motion, and let it dry. It did seem to go a bit thick (which will prompt me to maybe thin it out a bit next time), and when it dried, my project pieces have swirl marks in them. Should I have wiped the excess off before it started to dry? I tried buffing and buffing right after it was dry but nothing changed.

I will try to apply another coat to see if it will even it out, but I was really disappointed since the guy at Tandy assured me it gave even coverage compared to the dye. Any other suggestions to ensure no streaks/swirls and how to get a nice evenly covered project?

Thanks!

I wipe off any excess before it dries. Has always covered evenly.

Wipe off any excess with a rag or gloved finger,  and then the next coat shud go on more evenly.  

I have stopped using waterstains because of cracking issues.  

Good luck.  

For anyone who wishes to keep trying to the Eco-Flo Waterstain products here is a very important hint:  apply it to damp leather and use a damp sponge (which is what the manufacturer suggests to do anyway) and you should have better results.  Also, do not seal it or condition it with anything other than nasty smelling Professional Cream Conditioner as you will have a negative result from the rest of the products for that purpose.  The waterstains have several issues and they have cause more users, semi-experienced and new alike, heartache and migraines trying to wrap their heads around how to fix an issue that arises.  As mentioned above, some have stopped using the product because it has created major cracking issues and I can vouch for those as I had experienced the same issues when I did some product testing for that line.  The cracking was just one of the issues and every one of them can cause you to lose money in wasted materials.  I personally do not recommend them for purchase or use but everyone has to make their own decisions when it comes to spending their money.  Most of stick with the tried and true brands and products that have been around since the start of this industry and we have seen products and brands come and go while the originals still go strong without ever trying to "compete" with the new kid on the block.

Just keep in mind that if you do give this product a try and find yourself regretting it, there have already been plenty of people who have covered the issues and provided comment and recommendations so there is no reason why you should expect anything different just because it is you who took the plunge.

Good tooling to all.