Good day gents. I am getting ready to buy a machine. It isn't for leather but it will be used for heavy multi layered denim. first is a durkopp 380 split bar. the other two are singers. 212 and a 112.

I don't mean to horn in on your forum but sometimes you get information where you can.

I have however been lurking on here and I must say I have seen some beautiful work. It amazes me how you guys can do what you do.

My uncle and grandfather use to make purses and hand stitched them. I will be watching if its ok since I would like to try my hand later. At present I am starting a work shirt design for Bass Pro.

Thanks lots for any info. I would really like some on the durkopp since I find very little to none, I could really use that split bar for corners.

Welcome. Do yourself a favor and steer a wide circle around any used split needle bar machine. Especially if you're going to be sewing denim. There are tons of mainstream designs that use a standard double needle. It's all about learning how to turn corners. A classic example is on the chevron on the back pockets of the original 501 Levis. That became one of their trademark features and it was done with a non split bar machine. Pounding split bars through denim kills the split bar. I don't care who makes the machine. They all work the same way, using a series of nearly microscopic ball bearings that lock and release inside a shaft. Once they get a little worn, they start allowing the needle bar(s) to jump up, taking the needle away from the hook resulting in skipped stitches. You also won't like the price of parts. Stick with a non split bar, learn how to make corners, and save yourself a lot of headaches. I would however try and find a machine with reverse. The 112's and most of the 212's don't have reverse. Best of luck!

Regards, Eric

Are you familiar with any of the local places for machines around you.

Some times a good find pops up now and then on craigs, but with the above tips you have now your ready.

Under your location and interest, whats your interest in machining mean, milling and metal lathe materials ?

Anyway just figuring a gauge or needle separating width I suppose is the choice now.

If you find something just a mention what it is and you can get some more great information, no need mention where you see any.

I would take a look at something with reverse, as I'm not sure how best to lock some stiches with out it.

Good day there

Floyd

Good day gents. I am getting ready to buy a machine. It isn't for leather but it will be used for heavy multi layered denim. first is a durkopp 380 split bar. the other two are singers. 212 and a 112.

Snip

I see you live in Tennessee. Nick-O-Sew is located in your State. They sell all manner of garment making machines and have lots already setup on tables. I'm fairly certain that they can help you get the right machine, with reverse and the needle gauge you need. Go for something new and under warranty if you can. Otherwise, choose a brand whose replacement parts don't require a bank loan, such as the Adler and Pfaff do.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Under your location and interest, whats your interest in machining mean, milling and metal lathe materials ?

Floyd

Hi Floyd. I was a machines for a few years

. The 112's and most of the 212's don't have reverse. Best of luck!

Regards, Eric

thanks for all the info Eric. Actually both of the singers i am looking at have reverse and both are needle feed.

Both are set up in tables. The durkopp and 112 are in not too good looking shape but the 212 has been used recently to make tarps of some sort and looks pretty clean

Sounds like your on a roll, my 212 is not a walking foot machine but its ability makes it a pretty smooth machine. Went through machine when starting and now its a top dog again.

Floyd

post-44114-0-58560100-1457365103_thumb.j

Now that is nice Floyd. When you say "went through it" what exactly do you mean. Any new parts like bearing, wicks, if it has them etc.....and at what cost and where did you get the parts.

Reg

I don't know how to put a link to another site it wont let that happen, after a page of writing.

Sorry its on Hotrod site search 212g 140 Singer

Good day

Yes Sir, thank you very much Mikesc. Vive la France

I and another Soldier had a nice new years weekend in Paris 81-82, Thanks for welcome and great time at the Arc De Triomphe

Maleman

This machine had good bearings and bushings, with no shaft rust or the like. I picked it up at an estate sale to learn what a sew machine was made of, and with this do something with the knowledge.

I listened and searched a lot, ask some questions, but to be real clear this site was and still is instrumental in sew machinery.

Some parts were obtained from the net, but primarily I talked to Bob at Toledo Sewing for some information on specs and purchased some notions and got a tip to Singer parts from him so was able to get a few small parts from the factory also.

Another member here Greg at Keystone, I was able to get a table top and motor this all worked good through the time I was working up the machine. great support here

I wanted to use it in canvas work period, and so set it up for 92 thread and using 135x17

An experience for sure for a retired construction and diesel mechanic, thanks to the site here, lots of stuff in past post.

I had quite a bit of time doing all the work, it sews great, though it makes you want other machines as well, so always on the hunt.

This machine here is not a walker and has no reverse so with that knowledge this is a top dog for what its made for.

I will leave that information up to the pros here on the site, what I can say finally is be patient in your search, this is something I am very good at except for the waiting part, that bites me.

good day

Floyd

<off topic>

:) You are welcome Floyd.. ( btw..I'm Irish, but live in France,in the part that looks like Ireland, a 2 minute walk from the sea :) ) my wife is French.

Info ( if you are in a windows machine ) to post a link in a comment..

1.Go to the page that you want to link to..up top you'll see the "address bar" .the part with the website and page address..

2.Move your mouse cursor to it..

3.then make a click with the righthand mouse button..you'll get some options..choose "select all"..and left click on that option..

4.then come back to here , the page where you are making your comment..( move the mouse cursor into the comment box where you want to make the link )..

5.then click the righthand side mouse button...you'll get some other options..choose "paste"..and left click it..

6.the link will get added as plain text..

7.next hit the return key..or the "select" key..

8.that will drop you down to a new line..you can carry on typing on the new line

But..when you click the "post" button below the comment box..

your link will get converted..and will show up in blue and be a "clickable link".. :)

Works the same way for linux ( which I'm using )..

Mac..one of the rich folks will know ;)

</off topic>

Edited by mikesc

Thanks guys. Thats great. I'm sure I can handle that. Been awhile since I rebuilt much. I love to rebuild old machines. They work good and last a lifetime.

Its what made this country great.......

I love to rebuild old machines.

A word of warning, then - (old) industrial sewing machines can be strangely addictive..........