lb61906

Singer Model 15-91..............good For Leather Work?

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie looking for my first sewing machine. I was considering taking around $1500 and buying a new industrial sewing machine of some sort. Then I noticed that a Singer Model 15-91 being locally advertised as a leather sewing machine for around $300. Just wondering if that model might be worth considering?

I mostly make tote bags, leather belts, and other small to medium sized leather goods. I never exceed anything of 12oz.

Any pointers would be appreciated,

thanks

lb61906,

The Singer 15-91 is a household machine. It can sew very thin leathers but not 12 oz. What you are looking for is a true walking foot machine be it flatbed or cylinder arm. I would contact Ron at Techsew, Steve at Cobra and Bob at Toledo Sewing. They all sell a variety of good walking foot machines and are very knowledgeable on sewing machines in general.

glenn

I sold my reconditioned Singer 15-91 last year. It struggled to sew through an 8 ounce belt. The built in pod motor groaned and started to smell bad. Avoid at all costs if your plan is to sew leather.

No no no no no no NO. The 15-91 will sew up to about denim, it is home/homestead machine. You really need a medium duty leather sewing machine. I recommend the Cowboy 227R cylinder arm machine although there are other machines with quite similar capabilities like the Highlead GC 2268 which is excellent. I would also suggest a leather sewing machine dealer that is relatively close (East of the Mississippi) which means Toledo Industrial in Ohio, Keystone Industrial in Pennsylvania, and possibly Nick-O-Sew in Memphis. Some of these dealers have free shipping, so figure that into the price.

Art

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie looking for my first sewing machine. I was considering taking around $1500 and buying a new industrial sewing machine of some sort. Then I noticed that a Singer Model 15-91 being locally advertised as a leather sewing machine for around $300. Just wondering if that model might be worth considering?

I mostly make tote bags, leather belts, and other small to medium sized leather goods. I never exceed anything of 12oz.

thanks

Hi,

first of all I think 300 USD is a bit on the generous side for a Singer 15. These things are about as common as starfish on the beach. Then I'ld stay clear of small sewing machines with integrated motors. You have more choices to drive the machine and and can find replacements more easily with modular setups. Many household sewing machines will do 4 layers of upholstery leather (6 mm), but that's about the limit. It is - amongst other factors - a funtion of the needle length and needlebar stroke. Also thin needles in household sewing machines wil easily bend or break if you try to sew thick layers of leather. Probably the biggest problem: The clampings in household sewing machines aren't strong enough. You might hammer the needlebar up or loose the needle in the leather or a stuck or broken needle may be hit by the hook and throw it off the timing. (Don't ask me how I know ;-) Also pressure foot pressure will be rather low, bu you might work out a way to add a second spring.

If you can swing another 10.000 Cents the 1600 USD woud get you a small free arm walking foot with stand, servo motor and speed reducer for added torque, which is a much nicer way to start sewing leather.

Greets Ralf C.

I think a fair value on those 15-91s is 50-150$

I think a fair value on those 15-91s is 50-150$

I sold mine for $200.00, no questions asked.

I've seen people asking up 500$ for them in Tucson, but most were ~$100. Here in WV I hardly see any old singers come up for sale.

lb, as has been said many times, lots of people advertise a machine as being able to sew leather, and technically they are probably correct - but it's the type of leather that's important here (as well as the needle size and thread size). When you come across a machine that you're interested in, do a google search on the model number first and if it's a domestic machine then give it a miss (regardless of what the vendor may be claiming).

Hi Guys,

thanks

Hi,

compare your 300 USD Singer 15-91 to this 500 CAD cylinder arm Sunstar machine (km-380bl) http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=69119&page=3#entry453303 Post 35. 500 CAD equal 385 USD.

Greets

Ralf C.