Sign in to follow this  
Matt S

Doeskin: what is it exactly?

The stuff used for seat panels on English style saddles. It's soft, thin, has a pronounced grain on the hair side and a uniform sueded finish on the flesh side. I suspect it's chrome tanned sheep but I'm not entirely sure. What is it?

Sounds like pigskin! Thats the traditional English seat material

Doe skin is from a smaller deer, usualy Roe Deer. ie a doe is a female deer---as in the Sound of Music!.

It is thin, soft  and very pliable but lacks the durability of pigskin and (cow) panel. For saddlery use, it is veg tanned. It is used for side saddle seats, and I have repaired a 'show saddle' that was made with a doe skin seat. Its use is 'elegance' rather than hard wearing.

I have had a couple of skins 'in stock' for years! If a pic would  be useful, I will see what I can do, but I suspect the picture will not tell much!

Just to confuse you a bit more... ;)

Doeskin can be made from the hide of the female deer as Birdman states, but can also be from a lamb or sheep and is mostly used for gloves, but the term can also stand for a heavy smooth satin-weave or twill-weave cloth.

Isn't that usually called "kidskin" when it's sheep or goat?  Maybe it's one of those fuzzy areas.  

Kidskin usually refers to baby goat or baby sheep skins. So from animals not older than 6 or up to 12 months. That's the reason why it's called kidskin. I'm pretty sure terms are mixed up at times. One reason why I bought a trade specific dictionary.