rdb

Singer 31-15 +Servo?

My intent on getting the 31 was to put a servo on it. The cheapest servo I've seen is a consew for $109 on Ebay. My questions to you machine pros are:

Has anyone successfully put a servo on a 31? Is it worth it? Has anyone bought and used the consew servo? Is it any good?

Now I'm trying to save up for a more adequate machine, but for lightweight leather, I'm thinking the 31 will do me for awhile, especially with the servo. Am I full of baloney? Any tips, suggestions, etc, will be appreciated.

rdb.........if the 31-15 is sewing good LEAVE IT ALONE. mine was made in 1941 ,it has the original

clucth and it sews fine.

I receently came across a consew cylender arm machine ,bought a new table and had a servo motor

installed. dont like it. it is noisy and there is a hair line adjustment that goes fast and faster.

the folks i bought it from will take a look at it to see if there is a problem with the motor.

another mechanic told me he has seen problems with them. after xmas i will have time to get all this

corrected..........

i m h o ......save your $$$$$$

Sounds like good advice. Thanx Luke.

This 31 is just too fast for me right now. I'm trying to do some delicate work, and I'm not that proficient on such a fast machine. I'm palming the flywheel right now, but it's not exactly perfect. I guess I just need more practice. This thing is running perfect right now, so I know it's me...lol. The Artisan servo is good, but too pricey for such a thing. Maybe by next year they'll be selling some used servos out there on the intertubes.

this will solve the speed problem. i did it on a consew 225.

put a SMALLER PULLEY ON THE MOTOR......SPEED WILL SLOW DOWN......

rdb.........if the 31-15 is sewing good LEAVE IT ALONE. mine was made in 1941 ,it has the original

clucth and it sews fine.

I receently came across a consew cylender arm machine ,bought a new table and had a servo motor

installed. dont like it. it is noisy and there is a hair line adjustment that goes fast and faster.

the folks i bought it from will take a look at it to see if there is a problem with the motor.

another mechanic told me he has seen problems with them. after xmas i will have time to get all this

corrected..........

i m h o ......save your $$$$$$

Luke,

It sure sounds like a problem with the motor. My servos make no noise when on, and very little if any when sewing. The dial on mine go from almost a stitch every 5 seconds to ripping a strap out of your hand.

Luke,

It sure sounds like a problem with the motor. My servos make no noise when on, and very little if any when sewing. The dial on mine go from almost a stitch every 5 seconds to ripping a strap out of your hand.

that could be why he said to bring it back. the brand is " E-Z SERVO CORPORATION"

THANKS.

STEVEH......I AM UP FOR A SERVO MOTOR, BUT I WANT A GOOD ONE.

WHAT BRAND DO YOU RECOMEND.

Luke,

I have a artisan servo motor on a31-15, singer 111w 155. The motor runs very quite, 1/2 hp, low /hi range button, speed knob, and a motor directional switch, it came with a small pully sheave, no speed reducer necessay. it has plenty of starting torque, very easy to controll. bolt pattern was the same as the clutch motor so it was an easy change over.

Steve

Luke,

I have a artisan servo motor on a31-15, singer 111w 155. The motor runs very quite, 1/2 hp, low /hi range button, speed knob, and a motor directional switch, it came with a small pully sheave, no speed reducer necessay. it has plenty of starting torque, very easy to controll. bolt pattern was the same as the clutch motor so it was an easy change over.

Steve

thanks so much for the information

Luke,

Here are some pictures, the piece in the machine is 9/10oz herman oak and it sews this with good results.

Steve

stitching2.jpg

stitching__2_.jpg

post-4984-1229662788_thumb.jpg

post-4984-1229662842_thumb.jpg

Fine looking stiches. What size thread are you using?

I sew western boot tops on a 'cream-puff' 31-15 I bought from an grandmother who received it as a gift from her husband. .It was made in the early 1950s and has the original Singer motor and NO wear on the gears. I changed the needle presser bar, the wheel foot and feed dogs. It sews great.

The Artisan cylindar machines designed to sew saddles, did not impress me as the leather did not feed evenly and the large needle combined with heavy thread was crude. I have also used their skiver; and also sewed on the wheel foot unit they sell in competition to the 31-15. My Singer machine is much easier to guide, and sew points and curves with than the Artisan wheel foot.

But I am posting this to say that when handling curves is important, the Singer machines are really terrific, providing they haven't been abused.

You are right about putting a smaller gear wheel on the motor. It will turn at a faster rate and transfer less speed to the wheel on the other side of the belt.

I have some extra cowboy boot lasts in mens' medium width [D] from 9-13 or 14 with a dress toe if anyone wants to start up making them.

I changed the needle presser bar

I have some extra cowboy boot lasts in mens' medium width [D] from 9-13 or 14 with a dress toe if anyone wants to start up making them.

Alex,

Why did you change the presser bar. I'm new to bootmaking and want to change my 31-15 out to a roller foot. I actually have the roller foot, the single feed dog and matching feed plate. Just wondering if there is a need to change the presser bar.

Also, how much do you want for a pair of lasts?

what size needles are you using with the 99/69 thread combo??

what size needles are you using with the 99/69 thread combo??

I use size 19 and 20 with that combo of thread.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I finally have a servo coming that will be going on my Consew 18 and the hand wheel is relatively small with a small belt groove (like a 31-15). I'm thinking the servo pulley's groove is going to be wider - is that going to be a problem? What width v-belt is going to work for this set up... round belt?, etc. thanks.

Doug, A 3/8" belt will work,

Bob