dgkfit

Cobra class 4 sewing direction problem

hello,

thank you all for your help with my last issue.  so after having a cobra owner come and see my class 4 machine, we discovered that it sews in REVERSE when the selector is in the down position.  this makes a bird's nest mess of thread, and so stitching takes place.  the machine has never sewn right for me since getting it home almost a week ago. BUT, it sews in forward when the handwheel is rotated toward the user.   

is this something in the servo motor adjustments or is it a serious flaw in the internal gearing of the machine head?   if it is in the servo motor adjustment, where is the video/printed instructions on how to adjust the servo motor?  i have searched youtube and they just aren't there.  i have watched all the videos on the leather machine co site and they don't address the subject of adjusting the servo motor.  it is tricky.

thank you all for your help.   dale

Gosh! Does the servo on your Class 4 have a numeric LED display with up and down push buttons? If so, there is a setting (S something) that controls the direction it rotates in. I don't have any paperwork handy right now for these button options, but somebody else probably does. Leave the machine alone until we get these instructions for you.

Well I do have some instructions in Chinglish :)  Called " 2 The Normal-Reverse transition Setup For The Motor"  

" Motor manufacturer set is the reverse transition. If you need to reset: when motor stops, press the arrow down (button symbol on motor) for several seconds, when LED is "SET.0" press arrow up button with 2 times; when LED is "SET.2", then press the arrow down button again, Led is "roT.E" or "roT.P". If you want to change the transition, and you could press the up arrow for switch of the transition . 5 seconds later, the set pattern will be automatically saved"  This is exactly what's written in the instructions, part from the arrow up and down which are pictured by an arrow symbol. English or "Chinglish" are not any of my native language. I've would perhaps use the word direction instead of transition? that would have made it simpler for me anyway. I have not tried this for awhile on my motor (600 watt brushless cobra servo motor, 220 volts but with the same instructions as the 110 volt version). Anyway, running a machine in the wrong direction is not a good thing to do. It might have caused some thing to unscrew/ loosen or knocked out of position. I would recommend you take contact with Steve and tell him about it. It might be trouble regards the warranty later if you don't . It's really not that difficult to adjust these motors when you get to know the display, it's been a long time since I hade to turn /push on any buttons on it. I have used it on the same max speed settings all the time (around 1000 rpm) have not needed to do any thing else with it (that's a good thing :) )

Good luck

Tor    

Dale, did you understand something of this "Instructions"

Tor

Here's one we rewrote & should be the same for your motor.

DC servo TN411 001.jpg

56fd094f1c3a0_DCservoTN411001.thumb.jpg.

"E = reverse, P = Normal". Should be obvious to anyone, perfectly logical - NOT! :rolleyes2:

Dale,

A call to Steve would have solved the problem. Not sure if the machine is new from Cobra or second hand but either way he would help because he wants you to be happy and say great things about his product and service.

It is disappointing for any dealer, myself included, to see paople asking questions on a public forum.

it is interesting that dgkfit asked that question about the cobra4, I recently bought that same machine brand new and it was drop shipped from leather equipment co.  Now if dgkfit is a newer newbie than I, I can understand the frustration with the machine, I had difficulty setting my up as well and sent the original head back and received a new one in its place, but after throwing the original completely out of time and was unable to reset the timing Dave sent out the new one KUDOS to David.  However once getting the new one and painstakingly go over everything and making sure that it was threaded properly I asked my wife to come out and watch as I was going to try and sew something with it, and low and behold it punched holes and no stitches, but my wife said wait a second do that again and I did and then she said out loud hay that thing is sewing backwards.  So I reset the motor with my sons help with my disabilities once I get down that low I cant get back up and I cant bend over so, we got it going in the right direction and it sews great.    So the moral of the story is that those motors must be coming out of China going in the wrong direction!!!!!  Maybe someone should look at them prior to sending them out.  Contact me Dave so I can let you know how much thread you can send out for this little tidbit of info!!! :)

I note that Cowboy Bob's instructions above state that the default (as shipped) direction for the motor is reverse - as the two gentlemen on here appear to have confirmed.

We had the same problem with this motor,it switches direction (or goes to default) in shipping,one of the two reasons we quit using them.

Thanks for that comment Bob.  Steve ships with it turning in the right direction.  He has to, since he ships his machines with a pretty impressive piece of sample sewing still in place.

If the motor somehow resets itself to default during shipping (probably during the unplug and then plug back in process) there's not much he can do until he hears about the problem.

I'm with Darren, Steve should have been the first to hear about this.  He would have walked the user through fixing it AND it would have given him info to potentially prevent the same thing from happening to the second user.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

We had the same problem with this motor,it switches direction (or goes to default) in shipping,one of the two reasons we quit using them.

HI Bob, what motor are you using on your new Cowboy 4500 and others, do you use the new Hightex  Cowboy servo motor? 

4 minutes ago, Trox said:

HI Bob, what motor are you using on your new Cowboy 4500 and others, do you use the new Hightex  Cowboy servo motor? 

Bob has been installing Family Sew motors on the 441 machines for about three years now. The last one I had with push buttons was in 2012. I had modified it with the light baffle tricks and it worked well. Then one day it quit. I've used the Family Sew motors ever since.

Trox,Wiz is right we only use the FL550 & I don't care for the Hightex Cowboy either with the panel on the right like that it looks like any little bump in shipping could break it,also it has a computer chip in it & needs to be programmed.We had some reverse on us & I got tired of trying to explain how to program it.The servo motor we use now has proven to be easy to use & trouble-free so that's what we will stay with!!

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Trox,Wiz is right we only use the FL550 & I don't care for the Hightex Cowboy either with the panel on the right like that it looks like any little bump in shipping could break it,also it has a computer chip in it & needs to be programmed.We had some reverse on us & I got tired of trying to explain how to program it.The servo motor we use now has proven to be easy to use & trouble-free so that's what we will stay with!!

I'll second that! The Family Sew motors are the best I've used, since switching from clutch motors. The front facing speed limiter dial is one of the most useful features, next to the removable cork brake.

Bob sent me a Family Sew motor, and that thing has been the bees knees. After a lot of practice with the industrial walking foot machine, I have finally gotten pretty good at making nice stitches and stitching pretty fast.