llucas

Metal Belt Tips for Gun Belts (1/4" Thick)

I make gun belts for paddle holsters and concealed carry. They are 1/4" thick, made up of two 8/9 oz straps laminated with Barge cement. Some of my clients like the Western style buckle sets which include buckle, metal belt keeper, and metal belt tip fitted onto a tapered belt design. Problem: most of the belt tips are made for a single belt strap, not a double layer belt. Same problem with the belt keeper. I have been carving/skiving the leather tip and letting it into the belt tip. Scalloped edges on the belt tip offer another complication. This works, but introduces an inherent weakness into the tip of the belt. Does anyone have a source for metal belt tips that are made to accommodate +/- 16 oz of leather? I have looked everywhere; quizzed my current sources but have drawn a blank. It is a lot of work fitting a belt tip designed for a single strap onto a double layer belt.

Here are two examples of what I have done to make this work:

tapered belt tip 1.jpg

tapered belt tip 2.jpg

5700851dc219f_taperedbelttip1.jpg.55b282

570085357dd51_taperedbelttip2.jpg.7ba96b

Edited by llucas

That's about all you can do is size the leather down to where the tip of the leather  will sip in, course if someone comes up with something better I would like to hear it as well, as I make some myself, but out of a single piece of 1/4 leather.