Ken Nelson

ferdinand 900B problems

How much play (slack should there be in a shuttle on a 900B.  Mine is too tight to allow the thread to complete its journey around the shuttle to form a stitch.  Any fixes out there?  Thanks.  Ken

Ken;

I don't know if your Bull is a clone of a Juki 441 or something else. If it is like a 441, the shuttle race cover has two spring loaded screws attaching it to the end of the arm. Loosen the screws between 1/2 and 1 full turn from finger tight. This lets the bobbin case and shuttle clear thicker thread.

The problem seems to be there is almost no slack between the shuttle driver and the the shuttle.  My Cobra Class 4 has slack between the shuttle and the driver.   This machine was built up from a consew 754.  I am wondering if someone replaced the shuttle with one that doesn't fit correctly or if I am missing something here.    Ken

Pull out the shuttle and the spacer between it and the frame. Check for debris, clean the parts and reassemble them. Leave the race plate movable under spring pressure from the two screws. It should be possible to get more thread clearance doing this. If not, you may be right about the parts being added later on.

I bought an expensive Juki hook for my CB4500 and it is too tight on the upstroke and causes the top thread to hang and snap violently. Maybe you can find an original shuttle and hook for your Consew Bull.

I suppose you could grind down one or both tips of the "C"-shaped shuttle driver a millimeter or two to increase clearance for the thread. The driver is generally cheaper than the shuttle hook. Both my Adler 205 and cowboy 4500 allow me to rotate the shuttle by hand so it touches either tip of the driver, leaving a gap at the other end. As I rotate the hand wheel the shuttle hook actually falls forward and backward a tiny bit in the cycle as it makes contact with both ends of the driver. I'm not aware of an adjustment that creates a gap when there is none - it's really in the dimension of the shuttle hook and the driver. The adjustments usually set the hook-to-needle distance and the amount of axial play, which should be little to none.

For what it's worth, I bought a replacement hook for my Singer 331K4, the hook was obviously not original but was the correct replacement part and was bought from a reputable company. It would not work and was so tight at one point in the rotation that it was scary! I eventually worked out that I had to grind out metal from beneath the hook itself, in the "web" below the hook. Then it worked. Just pointing out that even though a part is "made" for a machine they can still cause problems with these old machines., so assume nothing!

Crazy question here, what thread size is the hook having an issue with and has something changed or just thread, this is my reason I'm with the question.

I am just thinking other than cleaning up some casting as dikman mentioned is this hook difference allowing a larger cord or thread possibly.

curious here

Floyd

It is not letting 346 pass or is it working with 277 on the top.   This machine had not been used for a long time, and it had 69 top and bottom with a 200 cloth needle in when I got it.    I am sending pictures to a tech tomorrow and will try to get some posted here tomorrow night.   I am thinking  new driver may be required.  might try to alter the one on it before I order a new one.  These machines started life as a Sieko and basic parts are still available for them which is a huge +.  Thanks all.    BTW Wiz,   already tried what you suggested.    I wish I had your knowledge on these things.Ken

Ken, call Bob Kovar, or a reputable industrial sewing machines dealer nearby, and get a price for a new Hirose 441 hook made to fit your brand of chassis that the Bull was built upon. It may or may not be the same part number as a Juki TSC-441 hook. The hook includes the bobbin case and spring.

I spoke with Dan Nagel at Campbell-Randall last evening.   He indicated  Juki 441 Bobbin and the shuttle for this machine interchange and it looks and measures the same as my Cobra Class 4 shuttle.  I am going to try to get a picture posted here today.  Good idea by the way.  Thanks  Ken

100_1587.JPG

100_1587.thumb.JPG.49a599a260ec09058df87

You're on the third failed stitch in this picture. You're doomed after the first time the thread does not slip past that point. In that position the thread should be slipping though the gap at the hooks butt at the TOP of the picture. If it gets stuck here, it just pulls more thread off the spool and the take-up lever doesn't stand a chance to pull the knot tight.

My little video:

shows how the thread (415 in this video) should slip through the gaps if hook and driver match properly (Adler 205-370).

Edited by Uwe

Perhaps your driver is indeed the culprit, then. The attached picture of a 441 style machine shows a driver that fills the cylinder space more and touches the shuttle in a different spot. Since your machine is apparently neither an Adler 205 nor a Juki 441 clone, you may have to track down a parts manual for your machine to figure out what part is right or wrong. Perhaps your machine was never designed to handle the larger thread sizes. Do you have spec sheet for it? 

Your current hook is a Hirose brand HAD-204 series hook, from the looks of it.

A recent post in another thread also indicated that hooks are only interchangeable in one direction between Adler and Juki style machines ("fits" vs. " fits and actually works"). Since your machine is not firmly planted In either category, who knows what will work or not! Report back when you find out. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg.a608be1f9ccf2edb8be7cf2dacd5a

According to Dan at Campbell-Randall, these machines were built on a Sieko CH-8, branded as a Consew 754 ( I think).  Dan confirmed the shuttle interchanges between the Juki 441's and the Sieko.   I am wondering if due to age if that shuttle has changed over the years. Parts are available for this old beast but they have to be sent over from Japan and  it does take a while and are somewhat pricey.  I am wondering if the shuttle driver can be pulled out of the machine and modified. I have a DVD coming from Tony Luberto on these 900B's in a couple of days and hopefully it will clear up the issues.  This machine is really tight and I think it will be good if I can get this issue solved. Thank all of you guys for your help and ideas on this.   Ken