MissLadyM

Is there such a thing as a straight pricking iron?

This is my first post !hi. 

Help ! I'm trying to find some type of tool such a pricking iron but that isn't diamond / slanted. I want to do decorative cross stitching but I find that pricking irons leave a  unsightly slot in the leather. 

I used to use an industrial singer sewing machine at my old job to punch holes in my leather, that had lovely wide stitching length  (without  the thread in) and worked perfectly  but I've left that job now and the new machines only stitch 5mm at the longest length.

My  sturdy vintage domestic machine does not produce reliable distanced  holes and I'm  limited to 5mm gaps . I want  about 6-7mm even gaps.

Any suggestions ?  Punching through 1 by 1 with an awl is too time consuming for my projects as my intention is to make to order... 

Many thanks! !

i do believe a lacing chisel will give you a straight line as opposed to a slant or diamond shaped hole, I think Springfield leather as well as others suppliers sell them... 

Hiya, Maybe you need to get back to the old industrial machine again, i think an old 45k1 would probably have 1/4 inch max stitch length? thats about 6-7mm. regards jimi.

I agree. Lacing chisels sound perfect.

Thanks guys! Just knowing the names for these things has helped me get in the right direction.  Most of the lacing chisels leave  a slightly too long cut/punch but I have descovered  some cool interchangeable chisel  sets from Tandy leather.com and also a hole punch tool which seems to punch round holes... Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/4-in-1-leather-punch

P.s. I can't go back to an industrial machine as it was at my old work place,  I want to work from home, and my home changes every year or so due to rising rents in London. A machine that big would be perfect for my projects but I haven't got space or enough muscles to move it around regularly ;)

They do, or at least used to exist. I have a Dryad pricking iron which I got as part of a job lot. It's a bit fine for what you need at 11TPI but the teeth are cut square rather on the slant. I also have a Barnsley tool which the eBay seller described as a pegging chisel which makes square indentations at 1/4" intervals.

Where are you in London?

On Thursday, June 02, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Matt S said:

They do, or at least used to exist. I have a Dryad pricking iron which I got as part of a job lot. It's a bit fine for what you need at 11TPI but the teeth are cut square rather on the slant. I also have a Barnsley tool which the eBay seller described as a pegging chisel which makes square indentations at 1/4" intervals.

Where are you in London?

Ok thanks. I've made up my own tool out of a fork at the moment and sharpened it on a router! It's perfect for now but I don't think it will last long.  I will Iook up pegging chisel. 

I'm actually just south of London 

Check out the Korean tool company KS Blade - on Instagram for instance.

They make some very nice chisels with round punches that would work perfectly for cross-stitching.

Not cheap but they are excellent.