Sign in to follow this  
bruce johnson

Christmas Orders

It is close enough to Christmas I guess I can show these and not spill the beans. I am attaching some pictures of some of the more unique things I have done this last little while. These rope cans are mostly variations of some popular styles for me. The rope bag is the first I have done in black. The wall hanging is the last rope and glove used by a cowboy at a cattlemen's day branding contest. He died from cancer not too long after that. His buddy ordered this done and wanted his buddy's brands tooled on it. It seems like you get one really special project every year, and this one was mine. Misty eyed cowboy picked it up.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

post-29-1230130849_thumb.jpg

post-29-1230130895_thumb.jpg

post-29-1230130910_thumb.jpg

post-29-1230130923_thumb.jpg

post-29-1230130937_thumb.jpg

post-29-1230130949_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce, I hope this does'nt sound patronizing, or that your stuff was anything but great before, but your work just seems to keep evolving and getting better and better! I really admire your work. I especially like the memorial piece. Very nice.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Randy

Great work as usual Bruce, Have a great Christmas to you and Rudy

Randy

Great work as always Bruce! I think this is the first time I have seen a pocket on a rope can...what a great idea! The black rope bag is very good looking...it'll really stand out in the pen and the memorial is really special! Looking forward to seeing more stuff!

Happy Holidays!

Bob

Hi Bruce,

Simply amazing!! I Love your wood tooling that you did on the Memorial peice.

What an inspiration, I have so much to learn.

May you and your Family have a great Christmas Holiday!!

Very nice job Bruce!!

I like the one with the cutout brand, nice and unique touch!

Casey

Thanks to all for the compliments. Dually, there are so many here who do so much better work I can only hope to keep picking up on what they do to keep improving. Thanks to all of them.

Bob,

I have been putting pockets on rope cans for a while. One night a customer and I were sitting around and he complained about powder getting in his wallet and watch and stuff when he put them in the center well. He asked if I ever saw a can with a pocket, rope bags have had them in or out of the bag for years. Nope, and I'd seen a few cans. (My first can was metal with the star embossed in the lid). He was ordering a can for a guy who had kept him mounted that fall. We stuck a pocket on it. This guy went to the buildings all winter, and I was getting a fair amount of orders off it. I called up Smith Bros to order a pretty good sized lot of cans. Cole had seen that first can somewhere back there, and credits me for the first pocket on a can he knew of. A blind sow will root up an acorn once in awhile. I was putting hoofpick pockets and baby powder pockets on can straps too. Some of those guys got back to TX and OK after the spring rodeos out here, and pretty soon a lot of makers were doing all of it. I am sure someone had done it before me too. Not much we do is new, just new to us.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hey Bruce, do you happen to have a picture of the back side of the black one. Interested to see what you done on the back side. It looks like you sewed it together without doing the inside out thing. The last one I did I sewed everthing together inside out then turned it right side out through the zipper so all the seams are inside the bag.

Randy

Bruce,

The memorial is great! Understandable about the misty eyed cowboy. I do think that the black one will stand out in a crowd. Your right I have seen lots of pockets and hoot pick, knife holders and rosin bags on the straps even. I think that I like the CL can of the natural colors the best of this bunch. I like the cutout over the hair on as well as the difference with the tooling and spots around the outside edges.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Ben

Hey Bruce, I'll echo Randy's question, and take it a step further...would you share the steps to make a rope bag? Seems simple enought to you pro guys, but, I'm learning everything as I go, and its a HUGE learning curve.LOL As I've shared with you before Bruce, to complicate things further, I only have a flatbed machine, although its a good one (Artison), it does limit me some.